I Forge Iron

Any ideas about this anvil?

Likely either wroughtiron body with a steel faceplate or possibly a solid steel upper half welded on the base. Hard to pinpoint from that picture. Has a common shape to a Hay Budden, Trenton, Armandhammer.... name matters less than quality. As in rebound test. Looks in good using shape.

Auctions can get goofy with bidders. Check it out, rebound and ring test (ring will be dulled on that stand.) And set your price and quit if it goes over. 

Thanks!   looks in pretty good shape.     

I have a forge I cobbled together out of pieces-parts and am using a big chunk of plate as an anvil now.   I would like to get something that looks like an anvil.

Unfortunately I won't be able to eyeball it, and my brother is an ER doc who doesn't know a hammer from a screwdriver.

What would be a good $ number based on the picture?

I am guessing it is between 100-150#, or do you think otherwise?

Thanks again, and yes, I understand that auctions get stupid sometimes.

-Ted

Usually go off price per pound. Since once you get up to a certain price, you might as well just buy new. Someone might be better in the math field than me knowing it is 24"long and 4"wide. There is nothing good in my eyes for size ref. It "looks" like a good user. I'd probably guess the same weight guesstimate. Were it me I personally would not go over $3. Per # without physically checking it, but with those pictures. (That is if I didn't have an anvil anvil and really wanted one) $4. Is brave for not seeing in person. Over that move on. That's just my opinion. Personally having an anvil, my tops is $2. A pound for a good user and maybe a bit higher if I found a good german pattern that I've wanted. (Nothing wrong with a good london pattern anvil tho)

The front foot(under the horn) might have serial # or weight stamp. The sides might have maker stamps hidden by the paint. Usually likely the side with the horn to your right. A picture of the bottom of the anvil might reveal a clue as to maker as well. 

Remember, you are not paying for the stand as it likely is not the right heigth for You. 

Since an anvil has looked rather like a cube of metal for 3000 years and a London pattern anvil for under 300; I think you got your "looks like an anvil" wrong...

Depending on the location it might go high; but if it passes the ball bearing test at 80%+ I would say it would be a good anvil to work on. (And Note: weight does NOT include stand!)