I Forge Iron

Problem with my rivet forge...

JW513

So I bought a Rivet forge a year ago, a belt driven one with lever. I never used it but it worked. 6 months ago I brought it from my garage to my brothers house where I'm setting up my shop. It wouldn't pump air anymore.. I adjusted the legs a little and sprayed some belt lubrication on it and it worked.. So a week later it still worked, I bring it outside to use and now it stopped working... So I adjusted the legs again, sprayed more belt lube on it and it worked.... Same thing happened.. It seems like maybe the legs move a little and loosen the tension on belt? I don't know. I'm temped to take it off and put my hand crank blower on it. 

Anyone help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Putting your hand cranked blower would be a better long term solution if you aren't trying to keep it in original condition. I think function is the most important thing, but many folks have the idea that they want to keep everything original and old timey. Good luck.

Pnut (Mike)

If the leg movemwnt seems to be messing with the belt tension, maybe set it up where it's working proper and add bracing to the legs and to the forge body. That should stiffen everything up and keep you from having to readjust every time. 

Oops I forgot to suggest fixing the legs. The belt is leather right? They can be a little fussy sometimes. Humidity,sun, moisture, all can change the tension on the belt. 

Thanks Das, I completely forgot;-)

Some times one must replace the belt... leather belting is ideal but rubber belting from say a round bailer is grippier and from safe distance looks about the same. Such belting can be had new at places like tractor supply or used may be had free from an implement dealer. Some times just the cool factor of what we do garners good will.

I have a lever forge and my leather belt kept stretching and slipping first I tried running it off the big wheel when I was not using the forge to release the tension on the belt. That helped but was not ideal. Then I cut a strip out of a hay bailer belt and used a splice to hold it together. That has solved the problem. The belt doesn’t slip and I have never had it get burnt in the past ten years or so. 

Hope this helps! Bill D.