I Forge Iron

Buy a 4” Post Vice that needs a spring for $100

mpc

The title says it all. I saw a listing for a 4” post vice thats in decent shape but needs a spring. I’ve never looked into post vices so but the price is well below what I normally see. Assuming everything but needing a new spring is fine, is it a “buy” at $100?

Well the heart of the vise is the screw and box. If they check out, you can whip out a spring cold from flat bar in 5 mins. That might be a little pricy to me (I'm kinda cheap, and am fully tooled up), but I don't know whether or not you're in a vise desert. If all else is good, grab it.

Steve

In this general area, that price is not horrible but is still running a bit high.  A 4" around this part of the NW tends to run more like $ 80 in that condition and about that $ 100 price when decently complete.  

I picked up a 4-1/2 at an auction in Grangeville ID (well attended commercial auction) about a year ago for $ 85 with a couple of other small goodies in the lot (pry bar, nail puller). More recently I picked up a 5-1/2 in good shape and complete for $ 175 at an antique store in Lewiston (so higher pricing than auction normally runs).

But...if there is some specific "extra" like good branding or a superior screwbox, you aren't too far off.  The spring and the other stuff to hold it are not that hard to scab together.

I picked up a beautiful 4" Monday p.m. for $70. It also needed a spring. I went out to my trapping stuff and grabbed the spring off an old (I've owned it 50+ years!)Victor no. 1 long-spring. Works like a charm. The vise has a number 5 on the underside of the screw-down plate. Any ideas as to it's maker?

On 5/16/2019 at 7:26 AM, pnut said:

j.morse, could you post a picture of it please?  

Sorry Pnut, I just saw you request. I only have my phone as a camera, and don't know how to do it from the phone. I'll see if I can find a way to get a photo on here.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2019 at 1:44 PM, mpc said:

The title says it all. I saw a listing for a 4” post vice thats in decent shape but needs a spring. I’ve never looked into post vices so but the price is well below what I normally see. Assuming everything but needing a new spring is fine, is it a “buy” at $100?

Easy,  make a new spring, all you need is some 1" or 1 1/4"  spring stock or an old spring. heat it re curve it to fit and them quench  and temper it.

On 5/28/2019 at 3:41 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I would find it an aggravation to pull the jaw open without a spring, especially since they are so easy to make.

If you have a forge and anvil make one.  You have all of the tools you need.  That is what  blacksmithing is all about.