I Forge Iron

When Galaxies Collide

Colorado CJ

Friday night I finished shooting an interactive galaxy pair, The Whirlpool.  These two galaxies are literally running into eachother, feeding off eachother and spewing stellar matter into the universe. 

This is my first time shooting M51, or the Whirlpool.  When the first of the many images started showing up on my screen, I was awestruck.  

This is the first image completed with my new scope, a Skywatcher MN190 Mak Newt.  Mak Newt designs aren't very popular for some reason, but I don't know why.  They are a blend of refractor and reflector and are the best of both worlds.  Both visually and image wise, mak newts perform as good as the equivalent size APO refractor, but with even less false color.  This is a 7.5" mak newt.  I bought it on sale for $1350.  An equivalent sized APO Refractor costs between $15,000-$20,000.

After seeing what this scope can do, I think I am going to really like it!

Anyway, here is M51, or the Whirpool, shot for a total of 224 minutes.  I am going to eventually shoot even more subs of this since the more information you gather, the sharper, more detailed and less grainy the image gets.

Here's the time breakdown per filter

Lum: 64 minutes
Red: 32 minutes
Green: 48 minutes
Blue: 45 minutes
H-Alpha: 35 minutes

full 

And here is a photo of the setup

full 

How are you keeping the noise down with such long exposures. I don't have any experience with this type of photography past the usual star trail shots but it seems like the sensor would generate enough heat to cause digital noise. Just curious.

Pnut (Mike)

Spectacular shots! Modern Modern equipment and computers have improved back yard astronomy beyond where the large observatories were a few years ago. 

Thank you for letting us look through your telescope!

Frosty The Lucky.