I Forge Iron

New baby Nazel 2b

SWEET. I read the text and while slowly going through the pics I was thinking, dang did he get one of the many without an anvil block? Ohhhhh BOY. Then the last pic on the trailer and there it is the anvil! 

I've gotten to play with a 3B once and loved it but a 2B would be perfect in my shop. I''m feeling severe power hammer envy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys. Couldn’t be happier with condition. Story is that it was sent out for a rebuild and then moth balled and stored inside when the hammer finally came back. 

Next on the agenda is a shop addition once things dry out.

Any ideas of where I can get a sight glass for this?

F87221DC-F2AF-4005-8972-1D69FDC8FFCB.jpeg

8FEBA70A-C381-41BE-B0F1-B026383E0D7A.jpeg

Gorgeous hammer.  Congratulations!

I have a 2B that was beautifullly rebuilt by Bob Bergman. Mine is a two piece as well, effectively  converted into a one piece by Bob by mounting anvil and hammer onto a four foot by eight foot by two inch thick steel plate.  This arrangement avoids the need to pour a special foundation for the anvil.  

I could never get the original Manzel oiler to work to my satisfaction, so I replaced it with a new unit which, at least so far, works great. Shoot me an e-mail if you’re interested in details.  david.kahn@lw.com. 

Got the Oiler going. Added compression bypass valve. Took apart both valves and freed up Linkage. Meggared the motor. Just need to build an inner cone which is missing and she’s ready to test. After that, time to start the shop addition. 

1C36D4C5-B5E1-4B6D-BB4A-0DE610140336.jpeg

64D766AD-030F-4DA6-BB31-DBA8350CCCEF.jpeg

0B5BB723-5689-4BDA-968B-812B36980060.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know the actual recommended rotation for a Nazel 2b? Clockwise when addressing the hammer from the front?

I don’t think it would matter. But ??? It appears to run fine in either  

I have chosen clockwise when addressing the hammer 

thanks 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

another question, pulled inspection plates off of side and am finding a very fine brass-like dust mixed in with oil....nothing big or even close to big, story with this hammer is that it was sent out and  completely rebuilt about 20 years ago and then just moth balled until now. i cycled oil in it for about an hour with just a drill motor running the oiler before firing it up for the first time....

the thing runs perfect so im puzzled.....

Bushings is my thought too but it was rebuilt and mothballed. I'm thinking the bronze dust is probably break in wear and will stop happening after she has a few hours on her. You see similar (not bronze of course) in the first oil change after rebuilding an automotive engine.

Frosty The Lucky.