I Forge Iron

Looking for pricing on a Hay Budden anvil

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. Many questions and issues are location dependent like the price of tools and materials.

Condition is more important than maker unless it's a cheap cast iron fake anvil. Were that in good condition and in Alaska it would sell for $800 before the ink dried in the add but blacksmithing equipment is hard to come by here, guys are buying new rather than hunt.

In the mid west it'd probably be well over priced. 

Location, location, location, Condition, condition, condition. ;)

Post some pics and we'll tell you what we think. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

Looks good but I hope the seller didn't grind or mill the face. It really doesn't need to be perfectly flat. That is atleast one of the better ones in my opinion with the solid steel upper half welded to the base rather than just having the steel faceplate. Price is also dependant on the rebound. If ground or milled they could have removed some of the hardened top since im sure they were only hardened so far from the top of the face. 

$4-5. Per# isn't really absurd a price on a nice anvil. Once it starts going up you're better off looking into new.  

Pending rebound, if it wasnt milled or ground then thats a great anvil.

More pictures than when I previously commented. Couldn't see the face direct on. 

Solid steel upper is a plus. I have one like it. And 152# is a good enough shop anvil size. What Thomas said about the price. 

5 hours ago, Fpfeiffer13 said:

I'm located in new york an hour from the city

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. This thread will help you get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

That anvil looks to be in good shape and if the rebound is as he stated and it rings consistently over the face, I would say $4.60 U.S. per pound is not outrageous for your area. I say the rings consistently because if someone has welded or heated the face it probably has lost some of it's hardness. This has been seen with anvils that have gone through a fire too.

BTW: According to AIA serial number A24136 was made in1920.

The bearing ball rebound test should NOT be done from more than about 10". Doing it from 4' only makes it look good it may not be more than 60-70% but look like it's bouncing a mile. 

If you're not good at judging this kind of thing, drop it from the 10" mark on a ruler standing on the anvil face and note how high it rebounds, you want to see the 8 line or more appear under the bearing at the top of the bounce.  Yes?

Provided it has good rebound and hasn't had years milled or ground off it's life she looks to be in very good shape.

Frosty The Lucky.

You can buy a brand new 125# anvil in that price range ($750 JHM) through Anvil Brand. If it was me I would see if I could get him down some more, if not, buy the new one. It is just an anvil, a tool, and it is not in minty shape. For around $50 you can get 200# of good scrap steel to use as an anvil, or with some looking maybe even free.