I Forge Iron

How to repair and restore back to working shape

Teddybo

Another scrap yard find - pays to make friends with workers . They set stuff aside for me - 

i belive it’s been retrofitted - Handle doesn’t look stock 

many advice would be helpful . I’m not worried about welding rhe old cast iron I’ve welded allot of nasty old cast iron and havnt had any cracked welded or purosity or failed welds yet .

i just don’t know what to do as far as making it function besides need a leather belt to drive the blower 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

88D665BC-FEF7-4AF0-AF6B-34B6C44A594D.jpeg

Edited by Teddybo
Add pic

Welding cast iron is a bit of a hassle to do it right. Rods run around $50 a pound, you need a peening device - I use a large inline needle scaler, and a way to cool it down very slowly - I use gray wood ashes.

Some rods use a preheat, others do not. Prep the weld area, lay a short bead down, then peen it as it cools from red heat to black. Brush the weld, and repeat as necessary. The issue with cast is it has a vastly different coefficient of expansion than the weld material. The weld bead shrinks faster, and rips away from the edges. That is why you peen the weld as it cools - spreads it sideways keeping the edges together. When done, bury it in ashes and let it cool overnight.

Easy peasy way to repair those items - brazing. One and done way to make it hold the first time.

Yeah I use nasty cast rod made by Vulcan as a buttering later then 7018  and pre heat entire area to around 700 degrees because I find it helps burn up some impurities that has soaked in ( I’ve had oil like stuff a few times come ozzing out )and use temp sticks to verify . I always cleans the heck out of the area and and like ya said short welds with a needle scalper to fallow and don’t let the cast iron drop below 500 then when done depending on size I either put it in a large tub of carbon pellets I get from filters I use in my shop ( I get them for free from weeds growers and then hook up to a squirrel cage and they control odor and dust ) and if the item Is to large I wrap  with a couple welding blankets then moving blankets 

and Nd I just don’t like the way brazing looks and silver braze is not friendly with large gaps