I Forge Iron

Setting Up a Forge

I am trying to run as cheap as I can, and I’ve looked into an idea. To save money, I decided I’d come here and ask for help. Would an electric air pump(one around 20 CFM) would produce enough air that, if directed through a tube, would possibly be enough for a hole dug into the ground and called a forge to produce the heat needed quickly. Essentially an electric blower, but instead made of plastic, then using some tubes to connect it into the ground.

I’m also not too familiar with a lot of blacksmithing, my experience going as far as a week starting to make a knife, then another week where I did the blacksmithing merit badge for Boy Scouts. My counselor decided to have me also make a coat hook, so I have a coat hook, yeah... I have been watching YouTube videos, and I’m hoping to learn all the various key terms to know for blacksmithing so that, if I do take this hobby up and go well with it, I can help others start

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

If you're asking about the electric mattress inflators then heck yes they make way more air than a person needs to operate a forge. In the local walmart they were running around $13.00 but I've been picking them up at yard, garage, etc. sales for a couple dollars. I see 12v DC a lot more often that 120v AC.

Right now forget about heating your steel quickly, you'll just burn it up. With that much blower your real trouble will be NOT burning the fuel and work up quickly. Even a blow drier makes more air than a person needs. You'll also need to learn the basics of blacksmithing before you'll be sure of forging a decent knife it's harder than you think.

Stick with us, we'll help. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Coal or charcoal or coke?  Charcoal needs gentler air blast than coal does.

I've made a medium sized single action bellows for about US$1 before.  Proof of concept before I made the fancier one. Both are used in my Y1K- forges. I once used an *old* handy vac---aluminum body! for a blower used a rheostat to control it; cost under US$5 total at the fleamarket as it was missing the bag (which I didn't want anyway!).

Have you asked at the local HVAC places to see if they had an exhaust assist blower you could have for free off a scraped house furnace?

If you're looking to do this for the minimum median(?) price you'll dash down right past value. An air blast can be made for zero if you know how, think paper bag or cardboard box. Hit garage, yard, etc. sales for a blow drier. Don't pay more than $5.00 for one, less is best. If you find some good hammers, punches, allan wrenches, etc. do a bundle IF they throw the blow drier in for free.

It takes knowledge and experience to practice blacksmithing on the cheap with any success. Say: boulder, cobbles, sticks and found steel. Unfortunately it's a bad place to start if you don't have someone on hand to show you. I know you're young so everything has to happen right now. but the only thing you can be sure of if you rush is making your mistakes permanent more quickly. 

Slow down, you have time. Hurry SLOWLY, you'll get there faster. "The Tortoise and the Hare" hasn't been told for so long because it's BS. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Second the JABOD as a good way to get started reasonably allowing you to modify it as you figure out what you want to do and what works for you.

With camp I assume you won't be going to the Indiana Blacksmiths Association Conference held 1 hour north of Indianapolis the 2019 IBA CONFERENCE, May 31-June 2, 2019, Tipton, IN  which would be a huge pity as Mark Aspery is the featured demonstrator!  (http://www.indianablacksmithing.org) (note the class fee mentioned is NOT the conference fee which is much lower!)

Speaking of the IBA, there is the St Joe Valley Forges satellite branch near you and they meet the 4th Saturday of the month. Not familiar with that branch, but if they’re anything like the group at Vernon, give them a shout. I’ve personally enjoyed every moment around the IBA members I’ve met and learned a lot! Check the IBA site for details.

Here's what I use for my jabod. I think I paid about eight bucks for it at WalmartIMG_20190430_204716.thumb.jpg.340098e22f1ad85b0b51e14fb6a2f739.jpg

Pnut (Mike)

I almost forgot to mention I use charcoal. This pump wouldn't work for anthracite and I don't think it would work very well for bituminous.

Edited by pnut

Charles, that is the one I actually wanted but they don't stock them in store. Since I use a public Wi-Fi connection I don't shop online.  I also have the 120v ac pump but I moved my forge over the hill to the woods and don't want 200 ft. of extension cord trailing away from It. 1557643479623.thumb.jpg.3ba1b13b81c297018633fdc470795253.jpg

It's annoying high pitch whine had to go. Much quieter using the hand pump. I'll switch back if I can get some coal but until then the hand pump is doing the trick.

Pnut (Mike)

I guess I could have gotten the 12v pump but then would have to get a battery.