I Forge Iron

I first tested my burner with a low pressure bbq regulator and was having the exact problem people said I would whistling, chirping, and back burning in the tube. Got my high pressure regulator today got it all hooked up and I'm having trouble lighting it. I got it lit a couple times but at a way low pressure and with the the shut off valve cracked barely once again since it was barely open having same issue along with it got fairly hot not red or anything but I burnt my finger. I'm confused and trying to not get discouraged but its frustrating 

20190506_183007.jpg

20190506_054051.jpg

20190506_183029.jpg

26 minutes ago, Jizzle69 said:

I burnt my finger. I'm confused

?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I just replied to your PM and I see the pic in the air intake I asked for. This will do I think.

You used a Cross fitting instead of a T. I stopped even trying, I never got a cross to work well for me. 

How did you attach the mig tip? It's NOT aimed straight down the mixing tube and that's a MUST. 

What size mig tip did you use?

Like I said in the PM. Lose all that iron pipe junk hanging off the burner! It not only throws the jet out of alignment it makes everything more vulnerable to breaking or bending  if someone snags the hose. 

Frosty The Lucky.

So first that was an older pic yesterday lol so thats the new regulator, second spokane Washington, and Frost-T it actually is a T with a 1/2" cap welded after that I taped the hole from the 3/4" hole side to make sure it was straight. Maybe the first picture was crooked looking cause the the cap isnt square but if that tip is off it has to be like a hair or 2 lol. Lastly pretty sure it's a .025

20190506_192725.jpg

20190506_192552.jpg

20190506_192654.jpg

1 minute ago, Jizzle69 said:

spokane Washington,

We won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location.

It could be a problem with the BBQ tank itself. Some tanks have a safety device in the shutoff valve preventing high pressure. Without the regulator attached, crack the valve to see if it will free flow.

40 psi is way too much pressure to try & light the forge. Try backing it down to around 5-7 psi. I would move the gauge to the regulator. I notice you have used Teflon tape around the threads. Is it rated for propane? Might check to see if some of the tape may have come loose and is blocking the orifice.

That's what I did i said i backed it way down it was probably 8 and i cracked the shut off barely so it was probably closer to 3, 4, maybe 5 and could get it lit but it was the same results i was getting with the bbq regulator

25 minutes ago, Frosty said:

?

The mig tip in the picture it's not to close to the throat of the t?

Are you having trouble keeping it lit both inside the forge and out in the open air? 

I can't really tell what the business end of your burner looks like from the pics, but if you have no flare the flame will keep blowing off the end of the burner when it is outside the forge.  Inside the forge it may still happen until the forge is glowing, although not as much.   

If you do have a good flare on the end then you really do need to check the alignment of the mig tip in the mixing tube.  You should be able to plumb up a garden hose connection to your burner and observe the water stream from the mig tip.  If it's not fairly close to centered that will cause you headaches.

If you're using a .025 mig tip in a 3/4" burner it will probably be pulling in too much air as well.  Try a .030 tip to see if you get different results. 

4 hours ago, Jizzle69 said:

The mig tip in the picture it's not to close to the throat of the t?

You asked that already. I responded with a ? to get you to maybe ask why? I didn't need a repeat.

I think I told you in the PM there are a LOT of possible causes for your problems and I asked a couple specific questions. Answer any of them?

Probably can't be much help if your problem solving strategy is guess till you luck into it. It just isn't my game, too frustrating.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:39 PM, Jizzle69 said:

Washington, and Frost-T it actually is a T with a 1/2" cap welded after that I taped the hole from the 3/4" hole side to make sure it was straight. Maybe the first picture was crooked looking cause the the cap isnt square but if that tip is off it has to be like a hair or 2 lol. Lastly pretty sure it's a .025

?

How did you check the jet is actually straight?

Why such oversized supply line? 1/2" is crazy too large. I run four, 3/4" burners off a 3/8" hose to 1/4" manifold. A really oversized supply line can cause problems shutting down. You don't need the burners popping on shut down. It's not good for the forge lining.

I run 0.035" mig contact tips for jets in a 3/4" T and they're trimmed way back from the throat. 

A 0.025" mig contact tip is more appropriate for a 1/2" T burner and can still tend to be a bit lean to the tune of 2-3 strokes with a tip file.

Frosty The Lucky.

I guess I DID pose that as a question so you deserve more than a yawn. Not only won't your burner get hot enough to endanger the gas supply your grossly overdone precautions is dangerous. Not only to the operation of the burner but to anyone working around it. That thing is strong enough to jerk your forge right off whatever you use for a stand, burn you and the building down.

LOL that. About that, you really should stop using cutesy text terms like lol, it make you sound like a kid and makes you kind of hard to take seriously.

So made it to the store today got a .035 was gonna get .030 and .035 but all the stores were out of .030 installed it and started getting this sorry for the quality it's still light out cant really see the flame but instant improvement no more chirp or whistle and holds the flame I will try to get a picture of just the burner when its darker

20190508_175229.jpg

12 minutes ago, Jizzle69 said:

I will try to get a picture

When you post it, resize the picture to 500X375 so it dosen't take up so much bandwidth and take forever to load for our members who have to rely on dial up or pay for bandwidth.

Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST

Don't change jets! Trim that mig tip down maybe 1/32" and test it. You're close now, close enough it's a matter of easing into a neutral flame.

You want to sneak up on the right length. If it's still too rich, take JUST 1/32" off, deburr with a torch tip file GENTLY so as not to distort or enlarge the orifice. TEST. You're close do NOT get in a hurry, do one thing at a time. We'll talk you in.

Okay?

Frosty The Lucky.