I Forge Iron

Nozzle recommendations with new T-Rex clone build.

Frank B

Hi, First post in long time.  I've been planning on building a ribbon burner forge to help facilitate welding Damascus, but thought I would try a 2 T-Rex burner forge first as I like the thought of staying naturally aspirated.

My old T-Rex burner seems to run pretty darn efficient so I figured that would be a good place to start on a second unit build. I deviated a bit and decided to hand Forge the taper to the burner tube ,rather than buying a weldable taper for $25.00. And since I did not have a 3/8 npt tap for the back brass collet, I turned the rear plug with an extended boss and a set screw.

My nozzle is flared a little more than 12 degrees but it seems to work fine for now.

It seems like I've read a  post talking about using a stair step nozzle with a spacer? I don't understand, is this for a bigger diameter nozzle? And is that an improved design over the stock configuration?

20190506_150941-resized-1400.jpg

20190506_150540-resized-1400.jpg

20190506_151559-resized-1400.jpg

3 hours ago, Frank B said:

t seems like I've read a  post talking about using a stair step nozzle with a spacer? I don't understand, is this for a bigger diameter nozzle? And is that an improved design over the stock configuration?

Yes to both questions.

I originally used pipe-in-pipe construction using schedule #40 pipes for all parts (such pipe comes in stainless steel too). I power sanded to fit with some parts and slite others. I can see you are able to turn your parts on a lathe, but I originally set up my burners for people with little knowledge or equipment to build with. As to tolerances, Keep you part diameters within fifty thousandths oversized, and ten thousandths undersized and stepped flame retention nozzles will work fine on your burners too.

2 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

o fit with some parts and slite others.

That should read "... to fit with some parts and slite others."

"slit" not slite.

A 3/4" burner would use a 1" pipe for a spacer, and a 1-1/4" pipe for the flame nozzle body (or the neaest equivalent wsizes in tubeing). Look up"pipe size chart" on the net to see outside and inside diameters, to order the materials in stainless steel tube.