I Forge Iron

FINALLY starting my shop.

No more forging only when it doesn't rain.  Went and bought the materials today to build my lean-to that will eventually be completely enclosed to a 12X20 smithy in the back yard.  I hope to have the posts in the ground next weekend and, if all goes well...  a roof over it so that I can finally fire up the forge again after a months long absence!

When you are posting look down to the paper clip that says Drag files here to attach, or choose files... That is where you download pictures, once the picture has downloaded click on the +  to add it to the post. Then double click on the inserted picture and a box opens up that allows you to resize the picture.

Good golly Ben that's a tiny pic! Just joking, good job. Please tell my you are using ground contact wood for the posts! Buried wood rots fast if not treated for it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Have you looked at the brackets that set in concrete but hold your posts off the ground and out of the concrete?  (I've lost the correct term, dang Aphasia, I'm sure it'll come as soon as I go to another thread)

Wood lasts decades or centuries if it's not in contact with the ground or concrete.

Frosty The Lucky.

Post bases, I blanked on the term. Simpson Strong Tie is top shelf.  Here's some pics so you have an idea of what we're talking about. Sorry about the link size. 

Frosty The Lucky.

image.png

You're welcome Ben, it's my pleasure to get you as thoroughly addicted to the craft as possible. Bwa ha ha ha! Remember to run a snap line so they go in level and check with a spirit level for plumb. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Usually if folks want to work with micrometers I suggest they take up machining---they will be much happier.

The "thickness of a worn shilling" IIRC was a comment about the tolerances the blacksmiths could hold in the early days of steam power.