Hey all,

I have been hand tapping #8-32 blind holes into railroad spike heads for knobs. It takes forever, taps break, and it's hard on the hand. I'm looking for a more efficient way to tap blind holes about 1/2" deep. Any ideas, tool recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Nate

Welcome aboard Nathaniel, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

Try a web search for, "electric tapper." I haven't used one but hear good things as a solution for exactly the problem you're having. 

Please keep us in the loop if you give the things a try.

Frosty The Lucky.

High quality taps, Accurate hole sizing, good tapping fluid are the go to's for hand work otherwise consider getting a tapping head for your drill press.

16 hours ago, Nathaniel Lee Winkler said:

I have been hand tapping #8-32 blind holes into railroad spike heads for knobs. It takes forever, taps break, and it's hard on the hand. I'm looking for a more efficient way to tap blind holes about 1/2" deep. Any ideas, tool recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Blind holes are tough. What kind of tap are you using?

What size hole are you using? I'd try a #27 or maybe even #26 drill.

What taper tap? Maybe start with a plug tap then go back in with a