I Forge Iron

9" Buffalo bench vice

Chris C

Basically what I told the snobs guys on Practical Machinists.  ;)   I could sure use the funds from selling it, (did I happen to mention I'm saving money for an anvil?) but if it's not worth much, I'll just keep it.  I can do a lot of work with that old bench vise.  I don't know a lot of people who have a 9 1/2" vise that will do what that one will.  It opens to over 10", so it's really been useful........and will continue to be.

Thanks.  I try (and it tries my patience sometimes) to be very courteous on forums.  But I have to admit your post reminding me of that picture put a slight grin on my face.  He never responded, as I'm sure you noted.

I yield to those with more experience than I..............and that happens much of the time.  But my ire tries to surface when someone considers him/herself a "know it all" and tries to put me down with their comments.  I don't think that's what these forums are for.  I'm here to learn.  I'm on any forum to learn.  Don't need to be put down by someone who feels superior.  We all started somewhere.................all, at one point, didn't know any of the nomenclature of the field...............all didn't.................oh well, you get the point.

We've got a guy at my Thursday night group (I'll just call him Grumpy) who looks down his nose at every single thing I do.  As far as Grumpy is concerned, I don't even tie my shoelaces the way he thinks I should.............and he's not reserved in telling me so.  He's one of the more experienced fellows who just sits and talks with all the other more experienced who never forge during the evening.  I just don't get it.  I've tried, repeatedly, to get him to engage and warm up a little and I can't crack the code.  Oh well, some are like that.

Well, they tend to frown when a newbie shows up in shorts and flip-flops.  (no I didn't do that!) As far as not stepping on hot metal.........................I'm just newbie enough it took me a few nights to realize just how long it takes a chunk of steel to cool off enough to hold in your hand.  I've been guilty of having to say "Boy, it didn't take me long to look at that one!" :lol:  I've learned to hold the back of my hand near a piece to "test" the heat before picking it up..........................but I never stepped on anything hot while barefoot.  ;)

HEY! I've been wearing velcro sneakers since they came out, I LOVE the things! 

I think I'd think hard about sneaking up and tieing grumpy's shoe laces together.

No, NOT "Grumpy Biker" from IFI, he's one of ours and seems a decent sort. 

Our club has been around long enough to finally start attracting new guys and meetings are getting crowded. Any old timer is generally swarmed by new guys and questions. Fortunately the grumps don't attend. 

I have a large Wilton Bullet I'd have to go out and measure it but it's at least 6" I used my engine hoist to pit it on the bench. The guy selling it at work put it in my car and I only rolled it out on the floor at the shop. I'd guesstimate it weighs well over 125 lbs.

Frosty The Lucky.