I Forge Iron

9" Buffalo bench vice

Chris C

I've got a 9" Buffalo Bench vise bolted to my work bench.  It's in excellent condition.  Being new to this blacksmithing interest, I'm wondering if it will be as useful to me as these "stump" vices I see pictures of.  Or should I look for something else?

If you aren't going to do any  hammering on the vise, a bench vise is fine. The anvil shape thingy on the back of bench vises are not suitable for more than straightening nail level hammering.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sure, you can mount a vise on most anything that's sturdy enough to take the forces you are going to put on it. If it's a bench vise you still can't hit it very hard without breaking it.

A post vise is NOT a vise on a post. It's the anvil of the vise family, everything about them is designed to be hit with sledge hammers without suffering damage. Something cosmetic sure but nothing that's going to hurt the tool.

Frosty The Lucky.

Besides, Frosty, "A blacksmith ain't a blacksmith without gettin' his Peter Wright."  :lol:  I heard that at last week's gathering.

Edited by Mod30
excessive quoting

Most bench vises are made from cast iron.  As such they break easily under excessive stress or impact and back when I was tooling up they cost more than a postvise, (about twice as much back when/where).  

Some machinist vises are made from Ductile Iron and so are stronger and more impact resistant----they also tend to cost above US$1K when *new* and used ones may cost more than a new postvise!

And then there are "chipping vises"  used a century ago for chiseling on cast iron castings; they tend to be in the 150# and up sizes and built for rugged use; but still prone to cracking over time.

3 hours ago, Chris C said:

Besides, Frosty, "A blacksmith ain't a blacksmith without gettin' his Peter Wright."  :lol:  I heard that at last week's gathering.

Well DUH! A blacksmith doesn't need to be told that one. :rolleyes:

If you have the wallet you CAN buy malleable cast iron vises but holy moly the $!  :o A 6" Wilton will run you in the $1,200 range but if you treat it like a leg vise you'll break it before too long.

Frosty The Lucky.

I got this one from a fellow I used to work with. His Father kept putting himself in the hospital in his shop so the kids were clearing it out. Alton sold this to me for $40. New at AIH this vise runs more than $1,200. Alton wouldn't take more, he said buy it or it's the dumpster.

Wilton60-1.jpg.953a478d56354dfb2856c5b51da35c47.jpg

And believe ME I KNOW this bench is WAY too high a place to mount this beauty. 

It was a poignant buy for me, if my family had cleaned out Dad's tools he might not have broken his shoulder in a fall and lasted longer or passed in less pain. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but might anyone know the approximate value of my 9" Buffalo Bench Vise"  Except for some surface rust (easily cleaned up) it's in "Good Plus" condition.  I'd say 95-99%.  This blacksmithing hobby is getting costly and I need the money more than I need that heavy vise. bolted to my bench.  The only thing I've ever used it for was to hold screws in to cut them shorter!!!!!  :o

A 9" bench vise would be a real monster. Are the jaws actually 9"wide? I'd love to see a photo with a soda can for context. If it opens 9" wide thats another story- more like a 4" jaw more or less. I guess we need clarification on what you actually have.

Steve

Sorry, no soda cans in our house.  But I do have an abundance of tape measures. :lol:

I cannot tell a lie...........................................but I have to admit, I was mistaken...............................................the jaws are actually 9 1/2" wide, but the vise is labeled a Buffalo #9.

I can't get the following picture to upload to the site, so you'll just have to go look at it in the link!!!!!

https://chris623.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p3521650189-4.jpg

p3521650194-4.jpg

p3521650231-4.jpg

Tis, indeed.  Think I had a hernia putting it up on the bench.  I'd like to know if someone might have an idea as to it's worth because I want to sell it to use funds toward a "proper" anvil...............whatever that is!

In that condition I'd probably do a web search for the new price and ask maybe 75%. That vise looks almost pristine, it should bring high used money.  

Well, so much for that idea, I don't see anybody selling Buffalo vises new. It must be a vintage antique! 

Frosty The Lucky.

I think it should bring good money, Frosty.  It's in near pristine condition for sure. But like you, I've been searching and not only can't find one for sale anywhere, but can't even find another comment on the internet other than mine here in this thread !

Doing a little digging. I found the following. Buffalo Mfg was founded in 1979 in Taiwan.   Looking around Buffalo seems to make decent Vises. Used 6” and smaller tend to go in the $10 per inch range. 

But being such a large vise it would most likely bring more. Of course depending on where you live. 

Best of luck selling that Beast. It looks fantastic. 

You’re welcome. Keep in mind Taiwan stuff is far superior to mainland China products. Especially in the 80’s. 

I live in Los Angeles and that vise would go for $200-$300 easily. Regular old light duty 3-1/2” Colombians in fair shape have asking prices of $30-$40 at the swap meets. 

I was talking with my brother a little while ago and he told me he thought it was worth in the neighborhood of $600.......give or take.  Don't know that I'm gonna take him at his word, though.

My brother was a machinist and knows more about that kind of stuff than I.  I'd sure like to have that kind of money come into my anvil "kitty".  I'll unbolt it and get it cleaned up and see what happens.  I'll see if I can find a man manufactured date on it when I tear it down.  That will help.  1979 certainly doesn't seem old to me, but it does make it's condition that more attractive.

Update:  I got on the Practical Machinists Forum and they laughed at me.  Told me my vise was more than likely a Chinese piece of junk.  Asked me to weigh it because an American made 9 1/2" vise would take at least two men to lift up onto the bench.  I unmounted it and put it on a scale.  Only came to 100 pounds.  So they said it wasn't really worth anything.  Well, it does what I want it to do and it's been on my bench for 20 years.  I'll just keep using it.