I Forge Iron

100 pound hay budden

Donniev

My brother is friends with someone down the road from him who inherited this and didn't want it so literally gave it to me. It's a bit beaten up, but there's no swayback on it so I wonder how often it was actually used other a table. Gave her the wire treatment and now we're on to mounting it! Anyone know what the numbers mean? There's also a lone "3" on the other side of feet from the 19447 leg

IMG_20190428_165532349_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190428_165511701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190428_165600788.jpg

The number 99 under Brooklyn is the weight in pounds as manufactured. The 19447 is the serial number. I would say Robison is a prior owners name. Someone with a copy of AIA will probably let you know about when it was made.

You have a very nice HB and I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face, all she needs is hot steel hammered on the face to make it shine.

Welcome to IFI... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Your brother started a thread about this anvil in another section so I suspect your thread will be merged with it. Someone with a copy of AIA will probably be along to say about when it was made. There are quite a few threads here about serial number ranges.

Welcome welcome aboard aboard guys, glad to have you. Now you two boys play nice and share. No fighting or I'll ground you both . . . and apply power! :lol:

I think this is a first you both made your first posts within about an hour of each other. It was just too sweet a straight line for me to pass up. I'm bad that way.

You've scored a sweet anvil she appears to be in excellent condition only a little chipping on the edges and a few chisel marks. Unless heavily abused anvil faces don't really get beat up, the hardened steel face will slowly get beaten down into the body making a swale across it but that's not a bad thing. Chipping on the edges is to be expected, everybody misses now and then and a blow in an anvil's edge can break out chips. No biggy.

Check out the anvil stand section for ideas to mount it that works for you.

Frosty The Lucky.