I Forge Iron

Just a cool tid bit i thought yall may find interesting

This is about balcksmithing, but then again it is not. 

I was watching a demo on fire starting with out matches or lighter. One of the methods used was with a peice of steel and a hammer. The guy doing the demo said that Japanese smiths would start their fires by taking a small piece of steel and beating it cold on the anvil until the metal would get hot enough from friction to start an ember in a tender bundle. 

I was demonstrating tapering to a beginner's class yesterday and I pointed out that the thin soft steel got brighter with my hammer blows as I was putting energy into the system and so is they hammered fast and hard enough the workpiece would stay hot longer and more could be done for each heat.

We had a thread about that a few years back. The eggheads among  us were showing us math that “proved” it didn’t, and couldn’t happen. Some one (i think it was Mooney” posted a vidio of him lighting a fag (cigaret) from a 3/8 bar in less than a minuet. 

As a farrier I had already saw this effect wile drawing clips. 

As a kid we broke wire by bending it back and forth quickly and it'd burn heck out of you if you touched it. Making it red hot with a hammer needed neither demonstration nor explanation, first time I heard it.

Frosty The Lucky.