I Forge Iron

Stone & Steel... 3,000 pounds

We raise a pretty good crop of rocks around here. There is a large sandstone bluff out of the side of our hill. At the base was two large pieces that had slid out that weigh about 1,100 pounds each. For years Debi & I have been wanting to do something with them because they were sort of in the way of our drive through truck port.

Our neighbor down the road had a large fairly flat stone next to the driveway that he gave to us. It measures 26X28X12 inches and weighs about 800 pounds. I had a 16 pound RR track anvil that was used for a light bench anvil before getting a better one.

Earlier this week we got ambitious moving all the rocks and came up with this, calling it stone & steel.

100_2042.thumb.JPG.9081c0c94db7ab910b75f11cc7102c09.JPG

That's a possibility but wonder if the sandstone would stand the heat. We envisioned a place to sit with a favorite adult beverage, watch the sunset and commune with nature, living in the woods as we do. Also when tolling the anvil, it would be the perfect place and that little anvil rings like a bell. Seems that ringing the anvil is happening all too often lately.

Don't build big fires. Sandstone usually has enough voids to allow steam to vent as long as you don't heat it too fast. You're in a LOT more danger building a stone fire ring and NEVER use stones that have been in water.

I have to go a ways for good sandstone here and would love to make an outdoor fireplace from some slabs. Just two on end in a wide "V" makes a really nice fire place. The V channels the draft so smoke is carried back up and out. The stone V also acts as a reflector so you get more warm from a smaller fire. A flat open hearth in front of the fire warms your feet and makes cooking easier. 

As it is you have a perfect place to ring the anvil. I like it a lot.

Frosty The Lucky.