I Forge Iron

Bader B2 wheel change

I bought 2" contact wheels from usaknifemaker to replace the alluminum wheels on the flat platen arm of my Bader B2. I just tried to swap them out and to my surprise when I removed the bolt that I thought was holding a wheel on it was short a does not run through the wheel.

Has anyone replaced these wheels before or have any idea how to remove the wheels?

I haven't tried yet. My experience with manufacturers is that they always try to sell you something when you contact them (that is why they are manufacturing things). So I thought I would ask if anyone else had run into this issue already before having someone try to sell me a solution I might not need. 

Sales pitch eh? Like for: a manual, the right wheels, bolts, wrench or. . .? You'd prefer putting your trust in a plea for random advice from tens of thousands of beginners around the world. How's that kind of logic working for you? 

Frosty The Lucky.

I contacted Bader for the user manual shortly after I purchased the machine since I purchased it used. They sent me a PDF of the manual. Then I asked them a follow up question about something that wasn’t in the manual. The response; crickets. So yeah they’re not my first stop. And my question was posted I a Friday afternoon. A helpful beginner could potentially tell me about their experience right away. The office staff are likely to respond after the weekend. 

The manual has no information about how to change the wheels. 

Regarding my logic. I asked a question to a group of people with similar interests to my own, many of which have posted that they have experience with the same machine, to see if any of them had experienced a similar problem and had a solution to it. That seems like pretty sound logic to me. The only flaw in it is posting to iforgeiron and expecting a helpful answer.

12 hours ago, Jbradshaw said:

The only flaw in it is posting to iforgeiron and expecting a helpful answer.

IForgeIron does not manufacture the Bader B2. 

It is the weekend when you posted. Give both Bader and or the IFI membership time to respond. 

There are members of the site that have and use the B2.  If you were to approach them with respect, seeking their knowledge and experience, they will return that respect and provide their assistance. 

3 hours ago, Jbradshaw said:

Regarding my logic. 

I fail to see your logic. You try to take company time from a manufacturer to answer questions about your out-of-scope modification of their outdated, decommissioned machine. Then you go online and berate some amazing admins because no one answered you on time.

If I worked for Bader, I would not answer you either. It is a liability to give any information that is outside of the specifications and original design of the machine.

I should buy a B3. My  old Bader has been running great all these years, a fantastic machine, but it is getting old.  I think I deserve an upgrade.

Thomas thank you. That is how the contact wheel arm I have works too.  But what I am trying to do is replace the wheels on my flat platen arm. So that way I have a contact wheel with out having to change arms every time I want to use it for something when I would otherwise be working on the flat platen (profiling of knife handles or getting the langets when working on an axe). Worst case I can swap a 2" wheel onto the contact wheel arm when I want to use it.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently bought a used Bader Space Saver. It only had a 14" cloth wheel and 10 belts. I called Bader and the lady was very honest. Told me to start out she didn't want to sell me high priced attachments until I knew what I wanted. I bought a 5" contact wheel and ordered some 2" belts so I don't have a flat platen either. I only paid $200 for the grinder and was willing to spend a few hundred on an attachment. I may manufacture a  y-arm with tool rest and platen. I am new and still not sure what I want and need but was very appreciative of Bader's honesty. They have been very helpful.

I did ultimately end up calling Bader. They were very helpful (as compared to the lack of email response I experienced a couple of years ago). 

The wheel was stuck in the arm and just required a little persuading to drive the shaft out of the hole. To do this the bolt needed to be backed out a little and given a few light taps. I’ll post a picture below of what the wheel looks like once removed. 

A4E915DF-F6EF-4E3E-8E5B-14ACB1AE62CC.jpeg