I Forge Iron

harbor freight grass burner... mods?

hey guys I have this gas burner from HF. I also have a foundry I made. my goal is to heat my crucible to the point of melting aluminum. however when I insert the burner end into my foundry (flush with inner wall) the flame seems to dramatically weaken and sometimes goes out. I'm thinking the reason is the wall of my foundry is so thick it messes with the air flow maybe? what do you guys think? maybe extend the black tip to about 12" or so? has anyone had success with a similar setup? all advice is appreciated.

91037_W3.jpg

Welcome aboard Joe, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

That's a weed burner, not a furnace type burner. It runs much too lean to be suitable as a melter or forge burner. However a caster friend of mine uses a couple in his burn out kiln, the unconsumed oxy in the flame and excess water vapor assists burning out wax.

On the up side you got a good hose, needle valve and piezoelectric igniter.

Frosty The Lucky.

So if your foundry is like this; most naturally aspirated burners won't work because there is too much back pressure; however it it's made like this other way it should be fine.  Or to put another way---we need  pictures of the set up or way more description!

As previously mentioned a propane burner you can build yourself would work much better.

• 11 months later...