I Forge Iron

Who can identify my anvil

Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

Please add your location to your profile settings; where you are in the world may have some bearing on what makes of anvils are typically available locally.

That said, you have an interesting anvil there. Possibly made in or near Sheffield, England some time in the 19th century. The face looks like it's in good condition, although the hardy hole looks oddly rounded. The weight stamp would indicate 348 lbs new, which is pretty beefy.

So long as the ring and the rebound are good, that's a pretty darn good anvil, and you can't beat the price.

Thanks guys - agreed that the hardy hole does look a bit rounded. Have inherited it and just trying to find out some history. It was purchased in Dorset about twenty years ago. It does ring and the hammer rebounds but I’m know expert. I’ve been on google and I thought it might be a Peter Wright? 

BAD58EEF-A105-4CCB-9A75-0375BDA5DC46.jpeg

Just above the stone weight stamp 3-0-12 or on the other side, there may be remnants of the manufacture stamp if I remember correctly Peter Wright and others also had Solid Wrought stamped in them too. Try dusting that area with a little flour then wipe it off to see if that brings anything up. A picture of that area will help. The hardy hole looks to be worn in using hardy tools that had a rounded base.