I Forge Iron

50Kg. 110 Lbs. KANKA Anvil Review

For those interested in this anvil, I bought one but there is a real lack of reviews on it on the net so Hopefully this will help you make up your mind whether to purchase one for your shop.

Overall I'm very pleased with this anvil, It's a lot more squat than most English pattern anvils but I like that about it  and two horns are better than one IMO. First off the price is pretty good for what you get. The machining is very good, very even and flat face, the forging is very accurate and smooth. This anvil is two pieces it has a welded base I assume both parts are drop forged, would be cool if it was a single piece forging but the weld line is barely noticeable and very well done.  The anvil has a pretty nice ring that is really easily quieted with a magnet on the horn, it comes with a thick coating of clear-cote to keep it from rusting and some thick black paint covering everything but the face. The shapes are very smooth and evenly machined, I kinda wish the horn was a little longer but it works just fine for everything I've used it for so far. This one is fairly hard faced, I tested it using Rockwell test files and it's between 50-58 on the working surface though it will still dent slightly from a missed hammer strike, The rebound if fair for it's size as well. I wish I would have ordered the larger version of this anvil now (165 pounds) but this size is sufficient for most small shop work and I've seen a few full time smiths who had similar weight anvils for their main anvil so I'm sure the 110 pound will work for most shops. 

For it's weight the face is wider than most others of similar weight and English patterned , I actually prefer the German patterned anvils after using one for a while and when I buy a larger one in the future I will definitely be getting a German pattern again...my next one will be a Refflinghaus around 200 pounds or more I worked on 3 different Refflinghaus anvils and they are worth the cost ( about double what this anvil costs) .

Overall I really like this anvil and  Would definitely recomend it I f you are in the market for a new anvil and thinking of getting one of these, Kanka clearly takes pride in their products and I'm sure this will last a lifetime and more. Any questions feel free to ask...

Omnislug