I Forge Iron

Little Giant 25# Trip Hammer

In about a week I will have the opportunity to purchase a Little Giant 25# trip hammer, New Style, number H-6161, manufactured in Mankato, Minnesota. While I have done some searching and reading online, and this forum, I still have a few questions. From what I can tell in the pictures, the hammer does not look rebuilt. Are these type of hammers electric, I have read that they are, but would like some clarification?  Is this hammer one speed, or can I control how fast/hard the hammer hits? How large of stock does it fit, I have heard it will work on steel up to 2"? What do I need to look out for when I check the condition of the hammer during the auction? How much should I consider bidding for the hammer? Is there anything else I should know? Since this may be my first hammer purchase, I want to make sure I have all of my bases covered before I invest in something this big.

From your questions I would suggest finding someone with more knowledge to look it over for you.

Some are electric, some were belt driven off of an overhead line shaft.

Yes, you can vary the speed by slipping the clutch.

They had babbit bearings , so check them over. To replace those you have to re-pour them, they do not bolt in. Check all moving parts for wear, and slop at the joint. Check the ways over for wear, and damage.

Bidding? Sounds like an auction. But in any case, only bid what you can comfortably afford. Remember to add on any buyer's premiums and taxes the adjust your bid down so you don't go over budget.

A 25 will work the same steel you can work by hand. It will move the work from your arm to a motor, which is a big improvement. A huge advantage, is nearly all parts are available from the company, and all work on these little hammers is pretty easy. A 25 is easy to move and install and will run on a 110 volt light circut if you dont have a lot of power available. Prices vary a lot, but an equivalent little Anyang air hammer runs around $5k so keep that in mind.