I Forge Iron

What tips or tricks can you give to help make better scrolls

Well, Jen is correct. Once you develop the skill to turn scrolls by eye, the time difference between using a jig, or the mark one eyeball becomes moot. Thus, in the long run, using the mark one eyeball means more variation and freedom of expression and along with this the ability to charge more per lineal foot due to it being unique. 

I say this strictly because the best way to max economics using jigs is to have one jig fits all, and it is used all the time. Thus in that space defined by code 4"×32", a production shop needs only one jig and one setup. The benefit is it takes very little time to train a helper to use that jig. However what you lose is one off creativity by the job.

So the choice becomes production vs comission. This is the difference,  and the choice made is always the correct choice. Thus there should never be any conflict between the two pathways. 

Obviously this is a great simplification.

The question should be just how do you bridge the learning curve and get to the place where the time difference between jigs and the mark one eyeball isnt an issue? And how much learning time does it actually take to get to that point?

Well, who in the blacksmithing world bends iron without a jig on a daily basis?

A Farrier. Every shoe is shaped to fit a specific hoof without a jig and absolutely must be done in a timely manner. By the end of the first summer you are either fairly competant, or there will be no next summer. 

The next question is how long does it take a farrier who decides to become a " blacksmith" to grasp the idea that an "s" scroll is just a weird hoof and apply his/her experience and confidence to freehand matched scrolls in railings or whatever. Lol, sometimes without a hint from some blacksmith, never! Thinking out of the box isnt easy.

And Frosty, when I read the origional post, he was asking advice on how to match scrolls. I figgured if he was using a jig, he would have asked how to use a jig. Since he didnt, i guessed he was doing them freehand. Thus so many posts and tips on freehand. And nowhere did i see any comments on freehand good, jigs bad. 

20171124_123912.jpg

On 4/21/2019 at 10:01 PM, anvil said:

And Frosty, when I read the origional post, he was asking advice on how to match scrolls. I figgured if he was using a jig, he would have asked how to use a jig. Since he didnt, i guessed he was doing them freehand. Thus so many posts and tips on freehand. And nowhere did i see any comments on freehand good, jigs bad. 

Uh huh and my reply was about hand forging and matching techniques. I only brought up jigs when the talk started going Jigs BAD only by hand good. I  merely pointed out nothing is always the best way to do things. Jigs, forms, dies, etc. all have their place.

I won't comment on a "craftsman"  who limits their skill sets based on philosophical opinion. A tool is a tool is a tool, if you can't use it don't. But brag about it? That becomes rationalization about the second time you do.

I'm tired of saying the same thing, your shop your way.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:03 AM, anvil said:

"Both have their place."   a quote from me above.

On 4/22/2019 at 12:01 AM, anvil said:

the choice made is always the correct choice. Thus there should never be any conflict between the two pathways. 

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

Jigs, forms, dies, etc. all have their place.

Seems we are on the same side of this conversation.  ;)

19 hours ago, Frosty said:

I only brought up jigs when the talk started going Jigs BAD only by hand good.

Frosty, I just dont see anywhere where this was brought up in this post.