I Forge Iron

Haha, Thanks. I can't stop making spiders. They are just too fun. What I need to do is make them bigger and more elaborate. I do want to make some in webs and larger ones. The shop is my space and I'll spider it up. ;) I have an evil longer term plan to makea spider where the abdomen is most of a 55gallon barrel. Muahahaha. Going to go right in the front yard till it sells too. 

Look for some of the spider wed material used in Halloween displays for a display background at demos.  Maybe a metal web out of heavy wire such as bailing wire. Or just suspend it from the ceiling on a single strand of wire.  Should get peoples attention. LOL

You are my kind of demented DAS, I love it. Deb would make me sleep in the shop if I started making spiders, she freaks.

Here you go, Stephen King's house.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrgDunxGbhcxCEA14NXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByZDNzZTI1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=stephen+king's+house&fr=crmas

Frosty The Lucky.

A 55-gal drum (44 gal here) would make an awesome spider, Das. I have a few big old LP gas cylinders that would do a fine job too.

I'm a bit over big scrap art at present. My 3.2 metre crocodile is progressing well and I am now onto the legs. I've rigged up a hoist set up so I can raise and lower him. Got to make sure those legs are going to sit evenly on the ground. Spending too many hours on him though, and the weight is starting to scare me.

Glenn, good idea, I have some in the attic.

Thanks Frosty. I know some people terrified of spiders as well. Luckily Elizabeth isn't. I have a few spider sculptures around the house and she doesn't mind them. Thanks for the glimps of the gate and house. It's fitting and inspirational. I think if I made a gate like that I'd go for more realism haha. Hmm.. might be a good addition to my house. 

Aus, I bet that croc is getting heavy. The smaller you go the harder it is just like the bigger you go the harder it is but bigger makes it heavy. Other than an engine crane, I dont know how I'd maneuver something like that in my shop. I will say I'm really excited to see it when you're done. 

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:44 AM, Daswulf said:

Aus, I bet that croc is getting heavy. The smaller you go the harder it is just like the bigger you go the harder it is but bigger makes it heavy. Other than an engine crane, I dont know how I'd maneuver something like that in my shop. I will say I'm really excited to see it when you're done. 

I am managing to manoeuvre it by using a chain and slings attached to the roof of the workshop. Today I have welded on the legs and adjusted them so they sit evenly on the floor, but with the main weight resting on the belly. I have some tidying up to do and then I'll post some pics. It's pretty busy at the work forge at present (250 visitors today). Easter is one of our busiest periods of the year. Probably even more tomorrow, Easter Sunday.

I have been keeping progress pics of the croc, so should have some to show by next week, when things have slowed a little at work.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...