I Forge Iron

Employment situation

JHCC

Please say a prayer for my wife Lisa, who was informed today that her position at work is being eliminated. We'll be looking for something else, of course, but things may be a bit tight in the interim.

Lisa, you and family are on the list here John. I'll say a few words with higher about this being a move up for you guys. 

As a side note; I can't tell you how I felt when I saw you posting in this section. I'm HUGELY relieved to hear it's just a layoff instead of the possibilities that ran through my head. You scared heck out of me buddy.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard of so many people talk of just such a "blow" in their life..............that actually turned into the "best thing that ever happened because had it not been for................."  My Dad was the best example I know of.  Long story, but he was let go from BF Goodrich because of a company "turn down".  Went from a measly monthly paycheck to starting his own business and eventually becoming a multi-millionaire.  It took 25 years of hard work, but "had it not been".

Here's hoping it's that good for your wife, JHCC.

• 2 months later...

Lisa’s still looking. There’s one opportunity that came up that looked good, but turned out to have required her to work with the people who fired her in the first place. 

She’s starting to think that this might be a good opportunity for her to start that yarn store she’s been thinking about, although startup capital might be a challenge. 

Not very; we bought a house when I was working at my previous job in Socorro NM---even paid it off!  Then when I got a job in Mexico; I rented a small place near the border (close to where NM, TX and MX touch at El Paso.)  Being laid off from that job I'm trying to move back "home".  6 years can be a lot of stuff. Anyway it's about 200 miles mainly north. Cooler; but mainly due to altitude.

The load last Saturday was 2 book cases and 20 boxes of books.  My wife says the house is jammed full and I should do some shop loads, so tomorrow it's 2 anvils, 2 stands, 3 postvises + 1 portable stand and as many cat litter buckets of tools as will fit! Great fun in a small 4 banger pickup with a cap! (Only run the AC when going downhill!)

This morning was 2 anvils, a solid anvil stand (mining timber), 7 kitty litter buckets of tools, 3 postvises and one portable stands, my large stake anvil and stand, a short cone mandrel, some project materials and a couple of milk crates of natural fiber rope.---Going to leave at dawn tomorrow and try to get that load up the road before the temps reach triple digits---no AC with a load like that!  I know two people who have blown their vehicle's head gaskets on hills out here this summer. I loaded most of it before breakfast---it was 86 degrees at 9 am.