I Forge Iron

Who can identify my anvil

Welcome aboard Ben, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. Telling us in one post won't stay in our memory longer than opening the next post.

I'm afraid I can't tell you much of anything about your anvil other than it looks to be darned old, a couple hundred years probably but that's a guess.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm from Belgium; and honestly, I cannot identify your anvil. I've seen quit a lot, but I've never seen this style, nor the inscriptions.

I've seen you have ground a bit on the edges; do you have a clue what kind of steel / iron it is ? Is it hard (you can test with a file) ? It looks to be forged; but I cannot identify a faceplate; which would make it way old.

Also; on the second hand websites there's a guy named "jack" from fairly close to me in Belgium; he deals in several hundreds anvils a year (he's a retired metalworker). Maybe ask him ?

mvg; Bart

On 4/14/2019 at 3:04 PM, Frosty said:

it looks to be darned old, a couple hundred years probably

I have to disagree with Frosty on this one. I read that stamp as “J. Derrida”, which would make this anvil postmodern. 

On 4/22/2019 at 3:59 AM, JHCC said:

I have to disagree with Frosty on this one. I read that stamp as “J. Derrida”, which would make this anvil postmodern. 

Okay, no surprise I'm wrong but . . . Postmodern? :huh: 

Frosty The Lucky.