I Forge Iron

What could have caused this?

The damaged part has a dead ring doesn't it? Looks to me like something hit it harder than it could take that close to the edge. No telling what caused the dent specifically without being able to lay hands on it but I'd have to guess someone hit something: high carbon, round and cold with a sledge hammer HARD. 

If I were interested I'd call that damage a serious bargaining Chip. Repairing it will endanger the rest of the face, it requires pre and post heating  perhaps AFTER removing the damaged section. It's not a trivial nor inexpensive job even as a DIY. My counter offer would be in the basement.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for the response.. It’s such a shame, the rest of the anvil is in terrific  condition.. Seller states no change in pitch, even over damaged area. I think it may be too far a trip to gamble on.. Spend those couple of hours doing something constructive in the shop instead.. I can’t imagine the tremendous amount of force it took to cause that!

A seller can SAY anything and there's not telling if s/he knows enough to evaluate it at all. Do you believe what a used car salesman tells you? OR do you have a mechanic check it before handing over money? Same same, unless the seller is willing to put the claim in writing and pay your travel expenses if it turns out to be serious damage I'd maybe make a bottom of the basement counter offer. 

Heck, just call BS, that is obvious damage and requires maybe 1/4 what's being asked max. You can tell him exactly why you're not buying the good ring over the damage. Heck tell him/er "Ring" doesn't make a good anvil it's rebound that counts and damage like that screams poor rebound and expensive repairs.

Do NOT tell the seller damage that limited is easy to avoid, just don't forge on it. Eh? ;) That's what bargaining chips are for, I figure as a rule of thumb that if the seller doesn't scream, I offered too much. That's how I got a complete deluxe Turbo Torch set for $20 and the asking price was a very reasonable $100. The seller wouldn't throw in the 20 lb. tank though, they had a BBQ. 

When you're bargaining you have to be ready to walk away no matter how much you want A Thing. If you let the seller know you Want the Thing your bargaining power is tanked.

Make sense? 

I've had folks tell me an anvil had excellent rebound---in the 40% range.  I consider over 80% to be excellent.  That's why the ball bearing test is designed to give a NUMBER not an opinion.  

I've had folks tell me that their anvil had a good ring; well their cast iron ASO was as dead as canasta!

I wouldn't drive 5 miles for that anvil without hearing the ring over the phone and seeing the ball bearing test on a video---just because it seems like the seller doesn't know anvils---OR-- is trying to pull a fast one.

To me it looks like the face of the anvil was welded up, then milled (edges are too perfect) and an area of the weld let go under use. I would stay away from it unless the price was about $1.00 U.S. per pound. If that's the case (welding) other areas of the face might suffer the same fate.

I appreciate the response. I ended up cancelling the deal yesterday after some sound advice from Frosty and Thomas. Your thoughts further firm up my decision. I refer to this site quite a bit and respect the knowledge and honesty presented here.. I actually had a similar nagging feeling about a previous repair! I ended up parlaying my funds into a nice old step vise, even had the upsetting block.. Thanks again, and enjoy your Sunday!