Glenn

Gas forge refractories and where they go

1)  The shell is the container that holds the blanket, etc that makes the forge. The propane tank will be the shell. Yes?

Next comes 2 layers of 1" 8lb. Ceramic wool refractory such as Inswool insulating blanket. Kaowool is another product but is becoming a term for the wool refractory. It's a high temperature insulating layer made from ceramic fibers.

Next the rigidizer both stiffens the ceramic wool refractory and contains the fibers so they don't break free and drift in your air. The stuff is a breathing hazard and can do permanent lung damage.  Ceramic Wool Insulation, Safety Alert

The hard refractory comes next and provide armor against both heat, flame and mechanical damage being poked and scraped by work going in and out. Kast-O-Lite 30 works well in around a 1/2" layer but some guys like 1/4" others more.

The last is a kiln wash painted on about like thick latex paint as a final bit of armor and IR re-reradiator. (meaning it gets really hot and radiates heat back into the forge).  IR reflective coatings are Plistix or Metrikote.

I made a small propane forge using 4 large white soft bricks. What type of brick or other insulating brick can be placed on the floor of the forge that will withstand Flux and not melt?                                            

I place a hard 2200 deg F brick in the bottom. The flux didn't affect the brick but the brick melted! That was a clue to find something else to place on the forge floor. 

The white high temp brick on the top of the forge cracked and then melted like a candle and dripped down into green glass puddles.

Flux eating the firebrick is a great reason to use a coal forge.

High alumina and/or zirconia castable refractory, or a precast high alumina split brick or kiln shelf.  Reportedly Kastolite 30 has some flux resistance, but I haven't tested it myself.

Oh and you should use 2600 rated insulating brick for a forge inner layer. You will melt 2200 even without flux at high forging temperatures,  not to mention the flame tip.