I Forge Iron

Where can I buy 1080 thicker than .250

Hey gang, I'd like to point out a few things in a respectful manner:  

• This fellow is typing in coherent English.  That means he's in one of only a handful of countries globally.
  • He calls out .25 1080.  I am making an assumption, but I think he means inches, since .25 millimeter 1080 wouldn't be much good for most purposes.  Only three countries in the world use the Imperial system - the United States, Myanmar, and Liberia.  I don't think he's in Liberia or Burma.  I could be wrong, but...
  • 1080 is an AISI designation, the American Iron and Steel Institute.  The rest of the world uses (not exclusively, but generally) other designations - BS, EN, DIN, JS, UNI.

These three things help me to be comfortable in assuming he's in the United States, or at least North America, which alleviates most painful shipping issues.

Is it really necessary for three people, at least one of whom says he knows the answer to the OP's question, to dogpile on this fellow?

I feel that responses like this drive away users.

This is a forum with members from over 160 countries,   Do you really feel its too much:  to ask for a person to state which area they are from? Even in the USA, Alaska will cost much more than Indiana for an  Ohio shipper

There is a list of suppliers at the top of the page.  My asking a person to read the existing answer to his question isn't dog piling

You probably shouldn't assume anything. He could be in the service in Germany or an ex pat. Who knows unless he or she tells us. 

Steve made a useful suggestion.

IF&C posts that to every new member

it read to me that Thomas was posting somewhat tongue in cheek to make a point that everyone only knows for sure what is in the op's profile or Post.

To my eyes it didn't look like a dogpile.

Hinds, I found where to buy steel by using Bing and searching steel suppliers near (insert your location). I got lucky and there is a supply ccompany about 15 miles from me that deals with the public..  good luck Hinds and welcome to ifi.

Pnut (Mike) 

Funny I have been active on the internet with my American background even during the Months I have been posting from Germany, Mexico, Indonesia, Chile, UK, Italy;  this has lead me to believe that use of "Americanisms" makes a weak reed indeed for indicating locality.

.25 meter is pretty thick; but I've seen folks use it for anvils before.

5 hours ago, hikerjohnson said:

I feel that responses like this drive away users.

Then perhaps you should temper your responses?

We're not suggesting anything but including enough information in questions to receive a useful answer. Including your general location is pretty basic. Assuming a person's location based on their fluency in English is a pretty basic mistake. Think it's possible he's an American, say a GI stationed in the: mid east, Germany, Greenland, etc.? Perhaps he just has access to good translation software or maybe has an American friend. 

Thomas can be tongue in cheek but is makes a valid point in an entertaining way.  It's called the Socratic method. 

Asking good questions is an acquired skill as is being able to take constructive criticism. Being snarky about folk not being PC enough is neither. Do you really believe more than 50,000 people in more than 160 countries should pose responses to suit YOUR sensibilities? REALLY?

We're not trying to drive anybody off, we just need enough information to make useful answers, anything else is just meaningless social medial gum flapping. We tend to be a little more real world. The real world is hard enough, why make it harder?

Frosty The Lucky.

My epiphany was once when I was in the UK and having a pint in a pub in the Cotswolds.  I was talking with a couple of locals who were metal detecting enthusiasts and they were telling me about finding a set of gilt spurs from "the civil war".  Well I was living in NW Arkansas where a number of major battles from the US Civil War had taken place (Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove) and there was a lot of stuff still around.  I had a friend who had several mountain howitzers from the ACW for instance and so was not greatly impressed until suddenly it hit me---ECW NOT ACW and a couple of centuries earlier!  Ever after that I've tried to remember that everything isn't American by default.

JHCC, I forgot you're the op of the read this first post.  

Well here's a belated thank you. It was a big help when I joined. I didn't have to spend the time figuring all that out on my own.

Pnut (Mike)