I Forge Iron

P-75 Black Beauty Forge Burner - experience?

Whiskeymike

Anyone have any experience with P-75 Black Beauty Forge Burner?   I searched here and found only one reference.  I'm a complete beginner, have read as much as I can of Mike's posts.  Looking to make my first forge and planning a double burner box forge.  

Is it adjustable?  Is that what is meant by the draft shield?  

Also, it mentions - "We do not provide a flare with our burners. Our burners are not a hand held torch, they go into a stationary device where a flare is not needed (the refractory lining creating the flare/flame holder)."  

Does that mean that I need to create a conical shape in the ceramic liner?  or a flare shape is not needed with these?  

We tried one in our group shop in a box forge.  The burner was stable and seemed to put out a decent flame.  Reportedly didn't put out as much heat as a Zoeller sidearm burner in the same forge, but I didn't do any extensive testing to validate that.  Certainly we were able to reach forging temperatures  in a student forge with walls of 2" Kastolite 30 (didn't build the forges, so not completely sure on the inner chamber volume, but on the order of 300 cubic inches), though there was a hot spot just under the burner and colder areas further away.  Likely this last was a result of lack of doors and insufficient insulation rather than a burner issue.

Personally I would add a variable air inlet shroud to be able to adjust the air intake and allow for a reducing atmosphere in the forge to limit scale. 

Most burners don't need a flare inside forges, though some are more stable in operation with them.  Flares are also nice to have as a consumable item if your burner isn't adequately protected by insulation.  Personally I think the ideal installation is to carefully form the inner castable refractory liner with a hole the same size as the burner ID on the liner's outer edge and either gradually increasing to a larger diameter at the inner edge (12 degree angle) or a step up to a larger diameter.  If possible this castable section would be the entire 2-3" thickness of your overall insulation liner.  This gives both the protection to the burner as well as the added stability of a flare.  Not absolutely required, but a nice feature.

For the price I'd say these burners are hard to beat.  They have been discussed more extensively on other blacksmithing forums.  Consensus seems fairly positive.