I Forge Iron

Homemade fly press problem

neobliviscaris

Credit for being innovative, but I sincerely doubt this is going to work as a functional fly press.

Agree with Thomas on the screw configuration for a useful fly press (lead angle).  You don't have adequate guides to keep the screw aligned well,  and the "nut" you are counting on to support any side thrust forces is very short compared to a typical fly press.  Any offset in the compression at the working end is going to bind it up very quickly. In fact a little misalignment in your welding of the "nut" to the frame will put that long screw with the potentially offset weight on it enough off-center so it will squeak through any light oil you care to apply.  That is probably the source of your squeak, though it could also be the screw bearing on the tubular guide below the nut.

Fly presses are great tools, and can often be found pretty cheap (admittedly more likely in the UK, where they are more common).  I'd keep my eyes out for a real one.

Good luck

I have a large old screwpress, (what I could get cheap at the time, US$100) If you are in the neighborhood let me know and I can give you some time on it to become familiar with it. If you are in NW AR, USA, pm me and I'll see if a friend will let you look over his collection, he runs a small business that uses them.

Welcome aboard Neobliviscaris, glad to have you. You need to share the story behind your signin name. :huh: If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance.

The problems with your build have been pretty well covered with one exception. When you welded the jack nut to the frame it almost undoubtedly effected the threads. Screw jacks are known for squeeking even when turned as slowly as intended.

You can buy acme threaded stock: male and female. A female weldable box say 8" long should work with a couple drops of oil and not squeak atall atall. 

You need a heavier flywheel and more solid frame. I can't see the base but am betting it's WAY too light too.

Acme isn't the right thread pitch for a proper screw press but it's better than not having one at all.  KUDOS for putting this together, I'll be honored to help you build an improved model and help you celebrate finding a proper screw press if you're lucky enough.

Frosty The Lucky.