I Forge Iron

NC-Tool Knifemaker Anvil

If anyone wants to see my knives I've made in the past, I have a lot of them on my YouTube channel.  Feel free to browsed the videos and check out my knives. All of them were built using the stock removal method.  I'm looking forward to getting my first anvil and starting to forge some knives. Off site link removed I haven't posted in quite a while.  Just been busy with life and other hobbies.    Some of my work

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself a tool maker. I have made hammers and of course tongs. Made all the tooling that I use to make hammers. Fire place tools. I have made a few knifes.  Various types of hooks and brackets. I like making things I need. 

I have never been very artistic but,  a lot of our members on IFI are very artistic. I am constantly amazed at the work that they are producing. 

My suggestion is to find the "thing " that makes you happy and pursue it to its fullest.  

Thats just my 2 cents worth. (before taxes).

I have not sold anything yet. Donated some things to a charity auction, and make things for friends.  What I was wanting you to know is the Kanca anvil is a good tool and that you dont need a power hammer or a striker to make hammers or anything else that you can physically handle. If you were closer I would be happy to help you make one. I am sure that there is an IFI member close to you that would help. 

Good luck in your journey and remember to have FUN.

Well, my big anvil guy still has not made contact with me, so...I bit the bullet and just ordered a Ridgid Peddinghaus anvil 165 lbs.  Ordered through Acme Tools with no tax and free shipping.  I was told it should be here in 5 to 7 days.  They had them in stock so they said they would ship it within a day.   Very excited to see my new anvil arrive!  

She's pretty too!  Love the shape and weight.

Good choice, fine anvils. You'll get to hand it down and your great grand kids will get to brag about their great grandfather the blacksmith who worked on THIS VERY  anvil! :o 

Remember we aren't likely to believe in it if you don't post pics!

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you CGL and Frosty!  I was really going back and forth between the Kanca and this peddinghaus, I really liked the weight and looks of the Peddinghaus over the Kanca.  I knew if I make some bigger knives, I would need that extra weight.  The reviews were all great, and it was the one I really liked the most, so why not get the one I want and hopefully won't have to get a bigger one in the future.  Nothing wrong with the Kancas, I just really liked the look of that pedddinghaus.    Should be here in a few days, I am very excited.  Thank you to everyone who answered questions and offered some advice.  Yes, Frosty, this will be one to pass down to the grand children.  The price was right with free shipping and no taxes on it.  Now to find some tools.   :)    I will definitely post some pictures Frosty.  I'll probably video the delivery as well! 

Well Evntlessbox, I sure gave it a lot of thought like many before me.  It was more than I originally wanted to invest in but I didn't want to settle with something I was totally comfortable with.  And, might as well pay that new price unless Anvils start falling out of the sky to pick from.   Used ones sure looked bad on craigslist and ebay.  Also figured if I'm going to spend a thousand on something used and still have to ship and possible make repairs on it, the new one made more and more sense.  And, I still have my nice gun!

• 2 weeks later...

Anvil came in Tuesday via freight.  I've been working on the anvil stand for 3 days and finally finished tonight.  I'll post some pictures of it tomorrow for anyone that would like to see it and the stand.  It came out real nice and everything is solid as a rock.   She was sure heavy lifting it about 4 times during he stand work.  Hope everyone is doing well!

Thanks CGL!  LOL yes, time to get scale everywhere!  At least our patio will be cleaned often!  I had to hang some tarps to shield in half the patio from rain.  I don't have room in my knife shop for blacksmithing yet.  I plan to expand that eventually too, then I will have all my stuff together.  Now on to more tools and gadgets for working on the new anvil.  You'll get that anvil you want soon CGL, get the heaviest you can!

Well you should be, that Emerson is a nice looking anvil as well as that Walnut stand your men put together for you.  My wife said she was going to get a small welder for me for Christmas.  Been needing one of those for a long time too.  Nothing expensive, just a Mig welder that will weld up to 1/4 inch steel.