I Forge Iron

NC-Tool Knifemaker Anvil

I think I read every thread there was about em and jotted down notes. I think that's why I'm so partial to them.  My first one worked great. I'm about to build a new one. The one now has been outside for about nine months. It's showing its age. I have a big SS prep table from a restaurant to put the new one on.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a trench forge with a side blast tuyere. I can forge weld, well burn steel is more accurate in mine. Check the thread on them out. They're pretty cool and cost almost nothing and need no tools to build really. 

Pnut

I just stay in if it gets too rainy. The trees block lighter rain and I don't mind the snow. I've been considering a lean to or something. 

I started outside in the open, but now that I'm getting a decent anvil, I'll be under our house awning on a concrete patio that's good size.  I have a knife shop separate from my house that I do my grinding and other work. 

Pnut, I'll will do that.  I think I saw one being used on YouTube. 

Yeah I have a piece of wood that goes over it. The forge is a nightstand from the hotel I work at. It's particle board so it's coming apart. I used L brackets on the corners because it was just held together with pegs. My first one was much nicer but I didn't put anything under the legs and it sunk into the mud and fell over and busted

Have you ever thought of using a junked gas grill as a JBOD.  It has a lid you can lower to keep rain out.   When I was in Columbus OH, they used to junk them in the fall in the ritzy neighborhoods where they didn't have room to store them till spring---sometimes the propane tank(s) to! You may need some bracing and better wheels if you load it up with dirt.

It's what a student of mine used as a camo for his gas forge when he was at the University, just another grill chained to the fence behind the dorm...

And I must disagree; gas is MUCH superior for spot heating---you just need to use the proper tool---it's called a torch. The finest reverse twist work I have seen was done with a torch. Remember a blacksmith can use ANYTHING that will heat their metal to forging temps!  (I've even read of resistance systems...)

Pinto,

If you havent already figured your anvil out, I have a 110# Kanca. I love it to death. As a green smith I've already had a few misses and hit the anvil instead of my work with not a mark. I also find myself using the square horn quite frequently. Hope whatever anvil you decide it serves you well.