I Forge Iron

NC-Tool Knifemaker Anvil

A 68lb (weighed on a home scale), London-pattern anvil, 1inch hardie hole with a relatively large horn. Made presumably in 2018/2019 (bought 2019), made also presumably of ductile cast iron.

95% rebound on the face over the body, 85% on the heel, 80% on the clip, 50-60% on the horn

Bought from Centaur Forge online.

Personally, this anvil is great. I've heard that NC is the runt of the litter in new anvil brands, so to speak. Being made of ductile cast iron and sold pretty cheap, they get an underwhelming reputation. However, this anvil seems to pass all the checkmarks and, if not for prior knowledge, I would have called my little anvil a cast steel one of very high quality. A ball bearing drop produced great results, as did the file test. The hardened face and clip of the anvil skate my Nicholson file even better than my hammer, though the horn is as soft or softer than mild steel. I've had limited time with my anvil, but it seems to be well made, holds no dents, and works just fine as a portable anvil

Overall, I would recommend this anvil/anvil brand to anyone not doing heavy work. The primary 70-80lb anvils NC-Tool sells just aren't cut out for heavy forging, being too light. However, someone looking to do work like knives, hooks, or even just small hammers would do well with this anvil. The knifemaker anvil in particular is good for most smiths, because it lacks the turning cams and general-use hole in it's heel, which get in the way in most non-farrier forging. Overall, the brand's only downside to me is the farrier-centered design in most of it's anvils. However, buying the more general-smith style one (as I did) makes a fine tool, and if you can get past the farrier add-ons of the other anvils in their repertoire, NC provides the best bang for your buck out of all the new anvil brands and, with rising prices, even many craigslist anvils.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking into one of those for my basement armoring shop, which is all cold but light work in sheet metal, i.e.no heavy forging (did I mention I am in love with my 173 lb 1938 Fisher?). You can't beat the price if it suits the work you're doing. 

Actually the bad mouthing of cast iron anvils are reserved mostly for the cheap Chinese anvils. Ductile cast iron doesn't make a bad anvil there are just better. My swage block is ductile iron and can take a serious beating without damage. 

70 +/-  lbs. makes a fine bench anvil and while you can do heavy work you have to be really careful not to miss blows.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...

Welcome aboard TomIre, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

I've never heard the term, "fullering edge." It's a new one on me, what do you mean please? 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 4 months later...

I was looking at the NC knife smith anvil and it's a good price $330.  however, I found a guy near me with a 300 lb Peter Wright in great condition with a price tag of $2000, which I can't afford but he said he may be willing to trade it for a rare gun that I have.  Would you guys go with the big 300 Peter Wright instead of the cheaper 70 lb NC knife smith anvil?   At least I could do some heavier black smithing as well as my normal knives.  I'm sure the bigger anvil will hold it's value too. 

Here is a picture of the Peter Wright 300 lb Anvil.  Looks like the face is in great shape as well as the edges/corners.  Any comments?

Any comments??

01212_jYKUNfTyIkX_1200x900.jpg

The Gun was valued at $1900 on GunBroker.com, but you can hardly find them for sale now.  Everyone that has one is thinking the value might go up.  I have second one that's not quite as nice but it's basically the same gun.  His anvil looks very straight on the face and the edges are clean and sharp from what I can tell in the picture.  He said it's been sitting in a barn for about 50 years with no use.  I could clean it up real nice.  

That sounds real tempting to me considering you have another one. But then , I like bartering. We have many here who can tell you better than I what to look for in an anvil. Just from the picture, it looks good. 300 lbs. wow. Can you arrange to go see it in person? If you can and can post your own photos, the gang here will very surely chime in. 

Yes I could.  He said he would drive down from Albuquerque and deliver it for free as he had other business to do in my town.  He said he may be here tomorrow so I could post more pictures of it for everyone to view and comment.  I believe a Peter Wright is a pretty good brand isn't it?  I'm new to forging and anvils so I'm open to advice and comments.  

Yes, he will deliver it for free as he has business to do in my town. Possibly tomorrow.  I'll get some pictures of it as soon as he comes down.  From what I can tell, it's in great shape, just a little TLC will be needed to clean it up.  

I have never had a PW, but I personally wouldn't pass it up if I could swing it. Hammering hot metal will polish the face up ^_^ I have 105 lb. Emerson. I can't imagine what a big anvil like that would feel like to work on.

It's late, but I betcha by in the morning, you'll have more responses to your questions that will probably be better for you. But personally, I'm kind of excited for you at the prospect! 

One thing for sure is, I don't think that big anvil would be moving any!  Interesting that hammering hot metal will smooth out the face!  Good bit of advice!  Would you attempt to remove any of the surface rust from the face and the base?

Hope so!  I'll check in the morning to see who else chimed in.  Thank you for the info you provided thus far!   At least I know it's a good anvil as long as everything checks out on it.  

Lot of people do remove the rust. It doesn't bother me either way. My anvil is only a few months old, so it still has sort of a new anvil look. Some rust around the waist and the bottom of the horn. But where it's been forged on regularly. No rust. Just shiny metal. And no, after you get it mounted, I doubt it'll go anywhere ;) Are you planning on staying stationary with it? It would not be a good candidate for portability. 

Ok good. There's one question down. Oh, by the way, you'll be asked to add your geographical location to your profile. It helps knowing where you are to be able to better help you with information that may be relevant in your area.  And other members may live close to you and that can be a big help

It doesn't have to be exact, but at least a general area

OKay I can do that.   I live in Southern New Mexico in a town called Alamogordo.  We are about 1.5 hours from the Texas border and El Paso Texas.  Town is small so not many black smiths here that I know of.  However, there are some in nearby towns and some in Arizona.  

That's good to know.  I'm a disabled RN so I have lots of time on my hands.  I'll have to Google him and see when he has his classes!   Is there a specific website that you like to get your tools ie., tongs and hammers?   Some that don't cost an arm and a leg?

If you get the PW you'll never have to buy another anvil. If you get a 77#er you will eventually want a heavier one. Since you have two of that model firearm and zero anvils I think I would rather have one model of the firearm and an anvil I'll never have to replace.

Pnut

Pnut, yes that's what I was thinking!  I hope it checks out good and we can make the trade.  I'm so excited to get started forging some new knives.  I've been using the stock removal method for several years but really love the look of forged blades.  This anvil would be my pride and joy for sure!

I didn't see your post earlier. I don't make knives except the occasional horseshoe " letter opener". I make lots of things from horse shoes  because I have a lot and they are kind of a tie to my first love of wanting to be a farrier( because I love horses)  I do lots of decorative things and I like making gate hooks and door pulls. And I try new things I see sometimes as my skill progresses. You can look in What Did You Do in the Shop Today and I have a couple of postings the last couple of days.

Yay pnut! I'm glad you chimed in. I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to push it. And I have bought some things from Centaur Forge. Some things from garage and yard sales. Junky stores. The thrill of the hunt at a bargain can be addicting. And yes, you can go to my profile and find the thread.