I Forge Iron

forge chimney

Is there a difference between stove pipe and  regular round duct pipe? I got 2 5' sections of 12" for under $30 new from the hvac supplier. I think stove pipe is double walled specifically for wood stoves and a lot more spendy. The duct pipe on my stack doesn't even get hot to the touch, and there is no creosote issue with coal.

Steve (In PA, too)

There is regular stove pipe, double wall stove pipe and triple walled stove pipe. There is also regular stove pipe in stainless steel---my woodstove has 1 section of stainless right above the stove where the temps are hottest. It's currently the most beautiful peacock temper colour. A lot of regular stove pipe has it where you can open it along the seam and add in another piece and so make it bigger in diameter. Helpful where folks have trouble accessing the larger sizes.

For my forge I use a 10' section of spiral seamed HVAC duct work I got for US$4 when the ReStore was having a sale...

You can use ducting for a forge stack IF you use something that isn't galvanized right above the fire. Plain steel stove pipe 12" long should be enough but 24" is better. 

Frosty The Lucky.