I Forge Iron

Hello from Preston UK

da_1nsane

OK is SUCH a subjective thing I have to wonder if whoever the mysterious nameless new guy is, is baiting us.

Don't wait to collect everything you think you need, you don't know enough to know how little you really need. Anvil, hammer, fire, stock. The rest are nice but not necessary. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha my name is Martin should have really put that on the 1st post lol and yhea that's all I'm really getting, I picked up an anvil recently quite cheap that I'd like help identifying as it is a big one and I've just bought a forge also just waiting for it to arrive. I've got some of the other stuff as I'm a mechanic by trade so plenty of scrap metal lol 

Big one as in over 400#?  I once had an auctioneer tell me that they had a large anvil in an upcoming auction---I attended and it was 60 pounds...

Got a few pictures of your anvil?  I believe that Postman has not identified over 200 anvil manufacturers that were in England the last couple of centuries.

Decent looking anvil Martin, the missing section of face plate might be a problem. Use a light ball pein hammer to tap the entire face and listen for sudden changes in tone, especially for dead spots. There's a chance the area around the damaged face plate is delaminated. There is plenty of face to work with without taking the chance of trying to repair the damaged face.  We talk about the risk of damaging the face you run doing repairs in other threads. 

About using something for scale a VW bus might be okay but you need to put the anvil against something we have a way to gauge. On the ground against the tire would be okay but not great, tires aren't all the same size.

Measuring tapes don't leave us anything to estimate unless we want to, laid almost anywhere, across the face, full length, against the feet. Anywhere and I can use my dividers to accurately measure the whole thing. If I'm that interested that is. Occasionally things like swage blocks, hardy holes, etc. want that kind of accuracy. 

We're simple folk you know. ;) 

Frosty The Lucky.

By  any measure that looks like a fair lump of anvil.

They do things in a big way in Preston, U.K.  We have an English Electric engine/gen set made there. 32 tons all up.

Endeavor to do better AND an apology? You're taking all the sport out of poking fun at the new guy. You're a cruel cruel person.

Sounds pretty good. Have you weighed it? What did lifting it make your back think?

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha just sucking the fun out of everything :D

And lifting it ? There was no lifting it lol even with 2 of us we couldn't get it off the ground we had to tip it and jam the trolley under it to move it and it took at least half an hour to get it in the van lol I'd love to weigh it tho but I think it would brake my scales 

1 hour ago, da_1nsane said:

Haha just sucking the fun out of everything :D

Not everything, you're over evaluating your effect on my universe. :lol:

Oooh, she's a sumptuous lass she is! Typically our bathroom scales run up to around 350 lbs. You can lay a plank between two scales and tare for it to double the capacity. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm curious about the grooves on the horn and sides.  It seems too large to be any sort of weathering of wrought iron but maybe cast iron might weather differently in the English climate.  Also, it doesn't look like the grooves from a cutting torch that I have seen on some poor ASOs ("Anvil Shaped Objects," things that were once functional anvils but are now too damaged to use.)

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."