I Forge Iron

Just getting started

kerryd

Hi, I'm Kerry.

I bought a welder last august thinking about building a bigger BBQ. The tank I was looking at I decided was too big and tabled the idea. I'd been playing with a friends gas forge and supplying him with a few leaf springs and an old axle (he covets my iron pile), and decided to, rather than drive all the way to town to play with his, build my own. Owing to the huge bark pile in my side yard, I decided on a wood forge. And being slightly nuts I ended up with a monstrosity: 32" x 24" v-block that, if I had the know how I could forge a samurai sword in. Worked well for Annealing and heat treating the blades I was working on, but I didn't build the front deep enough to get enough charcoal depth for a reducing atmosphere. I managed to actually burn up a 1/4" truck leaf spring. I finished a little single burner propane forge (just for a proto-type) and have managed two san mai knives and today my first Damascus knife, all three dry-welded without blowing a weld. Guess you don't have to be good if you're lucky.