I Forge Iron

question about ordering coke vs. coal

Hi all,  I've been wanting to give bituminous or coke a try and was looking to order some to see how I like it.

One thing that puzzles me a bit is how a supplier can sell coke for the same price as coal for the same weight. What's the catch?  Coke is more energy dense per pound and also isn't there some refining involved in producing coke compare to coal. I don't understand how it's the same price. 

Does anyone have any answers to this?

Thanks for the help. I can't get my head around this unless I'm missing something obvious.

Pnut (Mike)  

Perhaps you should be asking why are they selling coal for so much?   

Coke is harder to use; look at the firepots designed for coke---twice as thick as coal ones! Not as much market for it.

You also may be confusing price with cost of production.  Why do cars regularly go on sale for thousands less than their MSRP?

10 hours ago, pnut said:

One thing that puzzles me a bit is how a supplier can sell coke for the same price as coal for the same weight

Go for the coke. I have no clue as to why they are doing this.

Think of the difference in a pound of feathers and a pound of iron. The volume of coke is far greater, and will go a lot further. 

The difference in setup can be overcome. I burned Wyoming coke for a few years because I was given a large amount once upon a time. It was industrial coke.

I used my Centaur Forge rectangular firepot with the addition of a couple of fireclay bricks. The bricks were stood on edge, and could be easily moved in or out to make a larger or smaller fire.

If the opportunity came again, Id jump on it in a minute

Thomas, I believe the high price they are asking for both coal and coke is due somewhat to the shipping cost and the small quantity. A face to face transaction I would expect to be cheaper.

I was of of the understanding that you'd beforging with coke in the end if you start withbituminous anyway. I would expect coke to be harder to light  due to lack of volatiles that combust at lower temps . Like lighting anthracite. 

I thought coke would be more expensive because of the extra step in processing. I guess if there's not as much demand it would drive the price down.

I still want to try a variety of fuels just in case I have to use something different one day than what I'm used to. Don't wanna be a one trickpony.

Biggundoc, The sites didn't specify. I thought it was coked bituminous. I didn't see an analysis for the coke, I have to admit I didn't really look farther than the analysis for the bituminous coal.

Anvil , I was thinking more along the lines of a pound of charcoal versus a pound of wood. The coke being the charcoal and the coal being the wood.  Refined vs. unrefined. .                                             I have a jabod at the moment so I can adjust the firepot as needed with minimal hassle.

I found a place that sells 16 lb.samples of each so I may have to get both. I want to at least try different fuels just in case I don't have access to charcoal I'd at least have used other types of common fuels I might run across

Thanks everyone for your insight and information.

Pnut (Mike) 

Thomas, The price was pretty consistent across the four or five suppliers I checked. I did find one place selling bituminous for about fifty cents per pound. All the others I checked were about a dollar twenty per pound but included Free shipping. After shipping costs the fifty cents per pound jumped to the same price as the others. If you can't or don't want to buy it in person I guess you gotta pay.

I just checked on USPS flat rate shipping boxes .  it was about 19.90 and takes two for fifty pounds so the cost for coal and coke across all the places I checked was about 20-22 dollars per 50 pounds. 

The suppliers are well known blacksmith supply companies I've seen mentioned on this forum many times.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why their coal is priced the way it is.

I only want to try something other than charcoal to broaden my experience in case can't use my preferred fuel for some Reason so I will probably pay the convenience tax since I don't want to drive to get it and can't afford or have anywhere to store a ton which seems to be the minimum you have to buy to get the wholsale price of 400-600 dollars.

And I still don't understand how coke is the same price as coal  ;-) 

I don't think the coal is that expensive it seems like the coke is cheap. LoL 

Thanks 

Pnut (Mike)