IForgeIron is now carrying gas forge supplies, such as Inswool insulating blanket, Kast-o-lite 30, insulating bricks, etc.

Watch this space as we list the products and prices.

PM me for details.

Do you plan to offer IR reflective coatings (ITC, Metrikote, Plistix, etc)?

Plistix and Fire brick are available

Glenn I'm glad you are doing this. It will make it much easier for new members to get some of the materials that they seem to have trouble sourcing without having to buy more than needed.

If I can make a suggestion you may want to give an estimate on how much five lbs of kastolite will cover. When I was looking into building a gasser that was something that I had a hard time figuring out until I was directed to a website of a member here.

Great idea and good luck,

Pnut (Mike)  

We are working on that information and more.

Yes, Glen, it would be most helpful to have an idea of coverage, i.e. "a 5# bag will cover X-number square inches to a 1/2" depth".

The Kast-o-lite 30 bulk density after 1500*F (815*C) is listed as 87 to 97 pounds per cubic foot. Lets call it 90 pounds per cubic foot. A cubic foot is 12 x 12 x 12 inches. Divide 90 by 12 and you get 7.5 pounds per square foot at one inch thick, or 3.75 pounds per square foot at 1/2 inch thick.

One source says that when properly mixed it will make 18 cubic inches per pound of material.

I am just beginning to blacksmith. I have everything I need except for a tube attachment to connect my forge to the propane. Where can I get one, and what do the prices look like? Please reply if you can help me. Thanks!

at the propane store down the street from me, their prices are nice

Ayup, either the propane supplier's show room or the HVAC supply up the road from me has everything a person needs to manage propane. Stop by I'll take you up and show you the shelf and bin. The refractory supplier is a 55 mile drive into the big city, you buy the gas, I'll drive.

Frosty The Lucky.

If you live in the US, order from the IForgeIron store. We deliver to your location, even Alaska. :)

Andren: Saying you live in the USA is a little TOO general, maybe narrow it down to a county or state. I was posing an example of how impossible it can be to get meaningful answers to questions without providing enough information first. Not that you're not welcome in my shop, you are.

Oh, and Glenn makes the deliveries personally. He drives FAST and his car gets good mileage. I'm often tempted to order something next day delivery just to see the clips on the news and listen to the sirens closing in. :lol:

Frosty The Lucky.