I Forge Iron

Another step closer

Whiskeysup

Finally got a weekend free and got my welder working. Found the forge parts and anvil at a yard sale last year. Pretty rusty, they were portable calvary forges so the guy said. The boxed were beyon salvage but the blower I rebuilt and the anvil cleaned up very nicely. The fire pot took a lot of work but it turned out all right. The table was $10.00 on craigslist and the side wall metal was free scrap from work. I am lining the table with old red brick to bring the bowl edge level to the table surface to make it easier to rake in the coal. Some final air pipe and fittings and I will start making smoke! Please give comments as I am as green as you can be at smithing.

20190316_152350.jpg

20190316_165047.jpg

20190316_164957.jpg

Thanks for the idea. I figured it would be easier for me to fabricate the "T" fitting underneath the bowl for the air pipe if it was at 90 deg. There is a plate that I will weld the T to that slides 8nto a fitting under the center of the bowl . It looks to me that the original design was for portability and ease of assembly/ disassembly. Notice the hooks on the blower outfeed. Anyway there is still lots of room to adjust the handle, I have it adjusted so its balanced.

I made the Tuyere from Truck exhaust pipe. 3" with a flange to screw to the air grate, 2" down the 2" dia, horizontal air supply to the blower. 5" below the supply pipe to an exhaust flap cap ash dump. 

I used hole saws to match the 2" air supply to the 3" vertical and migged them together. Same to make the flange, 5" hole saw then the 3" hole saw for the exhaust stack. Welded flush. The flap cap clamps on with the weight towards where you stand so you can reach under with whatever's in hand to dump the ash into a bucket. 

If gasses detonate when you restart the blower all it does is dump the ash for you by blowing the flap cap open. I made the drawing below before someone suggested an exhaust flap cap and the horizontal is above center to increase room so you don't have to dump ash as often ash. That's the general idea idea though.

385370708_Exhaustpipetuyere.jpg.54d4fba838ca0291e5e4ad43e4b455e8.jpg

Frosty The Lucky.

Pieced together the brick to to level out the table to make pushing coal into the pot easier. Boy howdy I am no stone mason! At least the brick was free and the sand came out of my creek. Next is figuring out a hood/ stack. As always comment and suggestion welcome especially if it keeps me from big mistakes.

20190323_173608.jpg

Thanks for the advice, wasn't aware that at times you need to rotate stock while cranking. Unfortunately the pot is bolted to the table through a hole I cut in the top- it's how the pot is designed. If it becomes a problem, I have a couple of electric squirrel cage blowers I can replace it with. 

Charles, Thanks for responding. I can remount the blower but I would have to remove the brick. The reason I mounted the pot and blower  where I did was to be able to use both sides of the pot, be able to mount the hood to the table sides and leave room on top for coal and a handy place to leave tools. Once I start making sparks I will know if my 5hinking was off base, all part of the learning curve.

Rather than go to a lot of hassle moving your blower use exhaust flex pipe and leave yourself a little extra. I'd be banging my knuckles if I put the blower where you have it. Heck that's what I hate about my rivet forge after making a smoke shield, you have to be careful or you're always banging the shield.

Beautiful job on the forge but try not to get carried away making it "perfect" or you'll be at it forever. ;)

If I actually set up a coal forge in the shop, I'll be using a side draft, they work so well it'd be silly to mount my old overhead hood that lets smoke go it's merry way instead of up the stack.

Frosty The Lucky.