I Forge Iron

Multiple tuyeres

Laynne

Has anyone experimented with multiple tuyeres in a JABOD using charcoal? I have come by some shafting in the 2-3" range that I would like to work in the forge. I have read the JABOD threads, just wondering if anyone has tried it. Any do's or don'ts.

When I needed a long forge for box folding some 3/8" plate; I dug a trench in the yard and put a pipe down the length with a lot of holes and blew it with a shop vac output.  For an intermediate length forge I took an shallow old rectangular dry sink and ran a pipe with a lot of holes down the middle and mounded up creek sediments to make a V shaped valley (using coal, U shaped valley using charcoal).  I had drilled a ring of holes in one end and punched it out for the pipe to exit and made a ramrod that would just fit the pipe allowing me to adjust the length of the fire. Again powered air.

More food for thought. Thanks for the input.

I've been thinking maybe there's a simpler route. I could go from the 3/4" tuyere to 1" with a ball or gate valve to control air flow. Less time tearing down for plumbing, fire bowl stays the same size.

I have a 1 inch diameter pipe for a 30 inch long trough tuyere, I have  3/16 inch holes along it to allow air to exit evenly one end is capped. The other end has a 90 degree fitting with a flare that matches up with my normal tuyere opening of the bottom blast.   Since my forge  top is 30 inch by 60 inch 3/8 thick diamond plate,  it not only makes a good work table, it also doubles as deck for a trough forge when needed to heat  long section for heat treating or large bends