Whiskeysup

Finally started building my forge

Finally got a weekend free and got my welder working. Found the forge parts and anvil at a yard sale last year. Pretty rusty, they were portable calvary forges so the guy said. The boxed were beyon salvage but the blower I rebuilt and the anvil cleaned up very nicely. The fire pot took a lot of work but it turned out all right. The table was $10.00 on craigslist and the side wall metal was free scrap from work. I am lining the table with old red brick to bring the bowl edge level to the table surface to make it easier to rake in the coal. Some final air pipe and fittings and I will start making smoke! Please give comments as I am as green as you can be at smithing.

20190316_152350.jpg

20190316_165047.jpg

20190316_164957.jpg

Looks pretty good. The only suggestion I have would be to move the blower mounting closer to the corner, that way it would be closer to the side you are working off of and you would be able to adjust the handle for a longer throw if you wanted to..

Thanks for the idea. I figured it would be easier for me to fabricate the "T" fitting underneath the bowl for the air pipe if it was at 90 deg. There is a plate that I will weld the T to that slides 8nto a fitting under the center of the bowl . It looks to me that the original design was for portability and ease of assembly/ disassembly. Notice the hooks on the blower outfeed. Anyway there is still lots of room to adjust the handle, I have it adjusted so its balanced.

I made the Tuyere from Truck exhaust pipe. 3" with a flange to screw to the air grate, 2" down the 2" dia, horizontal air supply to the blower. 5" below the supply pipe to an exhaust flap cap ash dump. 

I used hole saws to match the 2" air supply to the 3" vertical and migged them together. Same to make the flange, 5" hole saw then the 3" hole saw for the exhaust stack. Welded flush. The flap cap clamps on with the weight towards where you stand so you can reach under with whatever's in hand to dump the ash into a bucket. 

If gasses detonate when you restart the blower all it does is dump the ash for you by blowing the flap cap open. I made the drawing below before someone suggested an exhaust flap cap and the horizontal is above center to increase room so you don't have to dump ash as often ash. That's the general idea idea though.

385370708_Exhaustpipetuyere.jpg.54d4fba838ca0291e5e4ad43e4b455e8.jpg

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, thanks, that's a great idea, I think I have an old exhaust flap cap from an old tractor rebuild around here someplace. Love the ash dump idea.