I Forge Iron

forge welded aluminum knife

Dogsoldat

Of course sharp is only *1* of the requirements for a good blade. Several decades ago A.G.Russel took an Al beer can and flattened it and bent it in two and then honed it till it would shave---just wouldn't hold an edge for long.

Most of use have had a paper cut, sharp but you don't see many paper "using" blades...

13 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Thomas, there are so bad mass production qualities on the market, that I dare to suspect or guess that this aluminium blade could outperform some of them.....altough it must be very light weight I dont want to think of the aluminium abrasion, which is not very appetizing.:huh:

11 hours ago, Dogsoldat said:

Sorry, from now till the heat death of the universe you're name will be associated with the kitchen stove welded aluminum foil knife. 

I'd like to have his sharpening stones. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I was just listening to a lecture by a materials scientist at MIT talking about precipitation hardening of aluminum and how the engine block in the Wright Flyer was made of precipitation-hardened aluminum. A great example of the cascading of technological advances: the wide availability of aluminum made possible by the development of the Hall-Herault process leading to advances in the metallurgy of aluminum that enabled the Wright brothers to use an engine that was both light enough and strong enough to create the right power-to-weight ratio for powered flight.

Nothing about whether or not it was strong enough to make a knife, though.

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

So did you watch the pasta knife one too?

No, one was enough. Worth watching?

Al oxide wouldn't require diamond stones to sharpen, the super dupper hard particles simply pop out of the al matrix, just like diamonds from a core bit. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...