I Forge Iron

SAE 660 leaded bronze bearings for homemade power hammer

I am working on a homemade power hammer and have made bearing housings from 3/4 wall 2-1/2” ID Tubing to accept a pressed in  SAE 660 bronze sleeve bearing with a figure 8 shaped groove to allow oil to reach all parts of the bearings from the oil cups supply. 

The shaft is 2” OD solid and will be built very similar in mechanics to a little giant and will have approximately a 50 lb ram

My design is set up like a standard rigid babbitt journal bearing (NOT split)

The bearing is 2”id x 2-1/2” od x 3” long. Do you think this pressed in leaded bronze bearing will hold up?

Thank you

It will probably work just fine.

The risk you run is the bronze is harder, grit could score the shaft instead of bury in a babbit bearing. How intricate is the shaft? If it's pretty simple, just do the bushing because it's quick, simple and potentially off the shelf.  You could probably do a polymer bushing or a roller bearing and get satisfactory results.

Unless you have a ton of cost and time in the components I wouldn't over think it. Just keep it oiled and I'd think you'd be fine.

• 2 weeks later...