I Forge Iron

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about 20# for $55 being sold on ebay. I'm looking for something to tinker with without breaking the bank but at the same time have a hardened surface which I'm reading is highly recommended.  They claim this is surface hardened to 52RC depending on which description you read as it's sold with several descriptions like knife making, jewelers, vintage, and "new old world" whatever that means. Granite Mountain Products is the claimed name, although the only granite mountain products I can find is a company in the Philippines that makes flip flops and the like.

Thanks,

Ian 

Links removed

Welcome to IFI Ian...Have you read this yet? It will help you get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST

Those anvils are too light but for the lightest of work like jewelry. You might want to have a look at this thread, most of them will be better than that one.

Using the common rule of thumb to not use a hammer more than 1/40th the weight on the anvil, you would need to use a >1/2lb hammer on that anvil. Don't get hung up on having a "anvil shaped" anvil, or a hard faced anvil. Just find a large chunk of steel.

Thanks. It needs to be light weight and relatively portable. I don't have a lot space to work with. I was considering making a post anvil out of a piece 7' diameter x 1.5" thick 4140 spiked into a round of firewood but that anvil showed up and it has a hardy hole built in. My "forge" is a coffee can forge I built this past weekend, so my little projects will be very limited.  I'll go read those links.

Edit: Looks like I'm right in the middle of mistake #9. (Plaster/sand refractory)

Looks like my link was removed (dang newbies and their links lol) 

Mod note; Yes it was and it just was removed again,  please do not repost it again

It's quite simple really, if you would have read the READ THIS FIRST thread you would have understood the terms of service that you agreed to when you joined. Terms like don't post links to outside commercial sites, don't post huge pictures, don't quote posts just before your post etc. etc. There really are not too many rules to follow as compared to other sites.

I thought that the removal of my link was software, not a moderator intervention.  Reposting it was not an intentional poke at the moderator.  Enforcement of the TOS on the forums that I attend is always tempered by the application of common sense. My link was not to cat videos, competing forums, self promoting, nor anything NSFW. My question was about a specific anvil and the community being able to see what I was talking about was integral to the conversation.  While I received good general information, and I thank the community for that, they were unable to answer my specific question. 

This will be my last post and thanks again for the replies.

The TOS and the READ THIS FIRST thread cover most things. By reading the site, you can quickly find the site is a G rated family forum. Any member is encourages to report anything that they feel is out of place on the site. That report goes to ALL moderators and ALL administrators so the next available mod or admin can review the issue. The links on the post were reported and removed, then removed a second time when they were reposted 

To specifically comment on any one brand of anvil, and that brands anvil weight, you would need to use that brand and brand anvil weight.  To give general information on an anvil weight for a specific purpose does not require using that brand of anvil.  You post is only 19 hours old. You may still get the answer your look for.

Purchase one of the anvils from the ebay seller and also use one of the suggested improvised anvils from the A collection of improvised anvils thread. Be fair and give each anvil a year (2000 hours) of shop use.  Side by side comparison should answer your question.  Please report back with your findings.

I'm just curious as to what kind of "common sense" leads anybody to expect a new forum to operate on the same rules as another. Seriously, IF you're still watching this thread. Do you REALLY expect 50,000 other members to modify how they do things to match YOUR expectations? You are really overestimating your significance in the universe. 

I'm not saying you aren't welcome, you are. We enjoy helping folks with the craft and love seeing pictures of what they come up with. However if you continue with your current attitude please expect to catch some ribbing, maybe even open mockery.

Frosty The Lucky.

IForgeIron was created in order to provide information and images to the blacksmithing community. It aided and supported many other sites and forums as the opportunity presented itself.  We still aid and support many other sites, forums, and blacksmithing organizations.  We host the international  BLACKSMITH GROUPS FORUM  and recommend those groups as local contacts for people seeking blacksmithing information. This hosting is at no cost to those groups. IForgeIron covers the bandwidth for them.

This site has over 50,000 members from over 150 countries of the world. The site has always been a G rated family forum, which means your spouse can look over your shoulder, or your grandchildren can sit on your knee and read the site.  Women, children, beginning blacksmiths, experienced blacksmiths,  and others are welcomed to the site.  Each of the members are encouraged to report anything that they may find out of place on the site so the moderators and administrators can review the issue. Together we can keep IForgeIron a family forum that all can enjoy.  

Haywire, don't take your cookies and leave.  All here can contribute something and we'd love to see you keep reading and posting.  You have to have a thick skin on here.  It's worth hanging around as there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here that will help you learn.