I Forge Iron

Post vise mounting question

Pr3ssure

Does it matter where the mount goes on the post vise so long as it's in between the red lines I drew? It's all square right there and it seems like it would be fine. Just wondering because it would be easier to mount it if I had that inch or so of give on either side.

2019-03-09 16.19.30.jpg

Alright, I figured so. I tried moving it up and down and it seemed fine. Just wanted some input. I'm thinking about welding a plate onto the frame of my forge table, just have to figure a good way to brace it. I took a sanding disc on my grinder to most of the vise today, was almost a shame getting rid of the patina it acquired but I want to paint it to keep rust away. Got all the joints cleaned up nicely though and it's moving very nicely. I took a look at the threads on it and they look flawless. Looks like the previous owner kept them greased up and didn't try to over tighten it.

Although I did find two little cracks, right where the circular piece, the screw piece goes though where it goes square on the pivoting leg of it. They are on the inside, I'm gonna take a picture tomorrow to get some advice on it. Not sure if I should leave it as is or try and weld it up, or take it to someone else to have welded. They aren't huge but they are on the corners and go probably 1/8- 3/16" either way.

• 1 month later...

You might be looking at the seam where it was welded together.  If it is cracking it is an easy fix. Grind out all the damage and weld it with an electric welder. No special rod needed, use whatever you are good at.