I Forge Iron

Hey guys, I’m trying to decide on my next anvil it’s a toss up of a perfect shape S&S 387lbs no sideshelf north German or a holland north German style with a side shelf 466 lbs. I’m really torn between the two. The s&s is lighter but older and has no side shelf but has the cool old factor going for it. I also think it’s going to increase in value and I think a used holland will depreciate. I’m thinking down the road for my family when I’m gone. This will be my dream worker anvil. Anyway, do Any of you guys that don’t have a side shelf wish that you did? Also you guys with a side shelf can you tell me the best advantages of having one? Any help as always is greatly appreciated. 

5 hours ago, Timber Ridge Forge said:

Well I have spoken to Greg(Holland) many times he takes the process very seriously to make a high quality anvil. 

Oh yeah, he’s an awesome dude, No doubt about it. I have a Holland swage block and know they make quality products. This is a tool but it would be awesome to have a tool and an investment. 

6 hours ago, Wrought Iron Farm said:

Hey guys, I’m trying to decide on my next anvil it’s a toss up of a perfect shape S&S 387lbs no sideshelf north German or a holland north German style with a side shelf 466 lbs.

Not 466 it’s 440lbs