I Forge Iron

Ribbon burner forge design, Yes? No?

Peppie

That's similar to how my forge is currently configured, but my floor extends to the edges of the outer shell and my burner is recessed from the floor so I don't have any issues with bumping it.  I've also configured my openings on the ends so that straight stock won't be in the burner area.  It does reduce floor space and the wall directly above the burner gets very hot.   I'm using about 1/2 inch Kastolite for the flame face and I may have a crack above the burner after less than 50 hours of use.  I need to take it apart to see if it's the Matrikote layer or the Kastolite which has the crack. 

Overall I like the idea since you can install different forge chamber shells fairly quickly and easily without having to disturb the burner or the floor, but like all things it does have its limitations and drawbacks.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the table forge build at Flemmingknives dot com, look at his shop build, click on second pic for his tabletop forge.  It's a good example.

Haven't used one, but seems nice versatile forge for doing blacksmith work or smaller knives.  Allows for different shells to be put on.

One of the guys in our club uses up draft burners in his forges and they work very well. Nothing falls into the nozzle and what does when not in use just falls through. Be easy to cover the ribbon block when not in use.

Reduced usable floor space is an issue with his too so he just makes them wider and less high internally.

Frosty The Lucky.

No idea, not my doing. Have you asked Glenn? If there's an issue he'll tell you what it is and discuss things. He's a good guy, easy going. 

He called me at a bad time yesterday, I was driving and the car had decided my cell phone wouldn't talk to it. He asked about lining a forge, but we could only talk a couple minutes. I'm guessing he's trying to avoid problems on his forum.

Frosty The Lucky.