I Forge Iron

Elbow Pain

Aubrey

Hi all.  I thought I had seen this topic on here before, but can't seem to find it again.  I worked derricks on drilling rigs off and on for about 20 years so I've dealt with some elbow pain.  But I am following all the suggestions I've read (that I remember) like keeping my thumb wrapped on the handle and keeping a relaxed grip.  I'm seeing visible improvement in hammer control as a result, but after forging for a few hours yesterday my elbow is achy enough today that I feel it needs a break.

Again, I am paying very close attention to my grip and making sure to keep it relaxed, and keep my thumb wrapped under.  My anvil is set at 31 inches high, so my knuckles brush the face in a relaxed stance.  I've been using a 2 lb Nordic Forge rounding hammer mostly, but also use a 3 lb crosspeen.  Occasionally I'll grab a 4 lb, maybe five (I've never actually weighed it) but I don't use it much.  

The pain seems to be focused more in the "funny bone" nerve cluster and right above the elbow in the back.  Only a little discomfort in the wrist.

Is there anything more I can do to prevent the pain???  Or is the pain simply a conditioning kind of thing?  Could my anvil actually be too low?  I know my arm is almost fully extended when the hammer blows land, and I wonder if any of you might have some suggestions

A couple points Aubrey:

The knuckle height anvil face advice is from a time when blacksmith shops weren't solo operations. Knuckle height is intended to make striker's blows and top tools more effective. More current advice for the "modern" smith who is working solo with a hand hammer is wrist height. Wrist height allows full arm extension for full power without hyper extending your elbow. It also helps strike with the hammer's face parallel with the anvil face more naturally. 

Point 2. STOP USING SUCH HEAVY HAMMERS!! The old timers using 3 lb.+  hammers have been at this a long time and either have good hammer technique or tennis elbow. Some hammer with their thumb on top of the handle and get away with it, most don't. . . get away with it. One of our guys has been a farrier and ornamental, architectural blacksmith for a good 35 years but has a terrible hammer technique. Watching from across the anvil it looks like he's trying to punch the hammer through the anvil rather than swing it. His soft tissue damage runs from his fingers to his shoulders. Yeah, BOTH shoulders and his back isn't so good either but that's a farrier thing. Amazingly his knees are in good shape.

Put hammers heavier than 2 lbs. on a shelf for later. MAYBE. Learn to swing a hammer safely and effectively with one light enough mistakes won't do permanent joint damage so quickly. I start guys off with a 32oz. Drill hammer. They're heavy enough to do good work without making mistakes permanent so quickly. The shorter handles improves hammer control.

My hammer rack is open to students but I start them on the drill hammer, most figure out why as soon as they pick up the 32oz.  regular length, slab handled, cross pein. I have a 5 lb. straight pein I made from a sledge hammer head, some heft it, put it back and give me THE look. I used it very briefly and occasionally have a striker use it. 

You can swing any weight hammer you wish of course,  but you asked about joint damage. Make life easier on yourself and joints.

Frosty The Lucky.

Unfortunately inflammation is one of those things that you CAN'T work your way through it.  It just makes it worse and worse till you have to have surgery.  Warm up, cool down, icing the area, an anti inflammatory all can help.  Read up on what is suggested for "tennis elbow".

I had 390 hits when I googled   Blacksmith's elbow site:iforgeiron.com    rather than repeat all that typing may I comment it to your attention?

Hey perfect!  Frosty and Thomas, thanks for the input!  When the pain starts, my forging stops.  I dont try to work thru it as you said Thomas.  I give it a rest.  I think I might try raising my anvil a bit and see if that helps.  

Thanks Glen for redirecting me.  I think that thread is where I read some of what I remember, just couldnt remember enough to renavigate back to it.

Thomas is that how you type it in to a google search exactly?

It doesn't need to be exact, including Iforge to a search term will search Iforgeiron first but won't limit hits to IFI. Thomas' example is of a more refined search and probably a good thing seeing as how often joint damage is discussed on the internet.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Only if you repeat it and get a similar number; otherwise it could be just another made up internet statistic.

When I write up a problem at work I tend to do it so anybody can follow the instructions and reproduce it---and why I always want extra information on questions here.