I Forge Iron

The aftermath of a rebirth...

AdamTheSaint

As you know, I was not ecstatic with the chamber size of my slim quarter keg forge. I could've just rebuilt my burners and, in theory, been alright as that would've solved the back pressure issue, but I still would've not been happy with the dimensions I had to work with. So instead I tore out the castable refractory and k26 bricks that were underneath, and did it over again. 

Here are the results.7C3704F4-47E4-490D-9D03-1677F996887E.thumb.jpeg.42f8fa9874f0db100b1549c8c77588d6.jpeg

F2F8ABF5-A588-496B-AD9B-2FE77BFA112C.thumb.png.0eccb2e279919cf882707eef88ba10d9.pngE1D0584B-9AF5-4AF8-AEAC-30C86FD498C0.thumb.jpeg.33dbba2bbdc961b3a64774f1f245fdc5.jpeg 0F41A7D1-E81A-4316-B2F4-D942249D94A9.thumb.jpeg.66e13dc5ead7f26e6989bea837d4fd9b.jpegi have a slight cold spot in the middle, I believe this is from a build up of the castable refractory on the inside when I was making the nozzle flares. I will attempt to knock it down some and see if it helps. All in all though, I'm pretty happy with the result. The blue flame is at 1psi, the pic where the forge is red hot is at 5psi. 

Correct, I was playing around with the choke a bit and taking pics of the results. Blue green indicates a rich environment, correct? I noticed a large amount of carbon monoxide at that color. I'll make sure it stays at the blue. 

So the second picture is ideally what I'm looking for, correct?

1 hour ago, AlphaDog Forge said:

To me it looks like your spacing between burners are more then a bit to far away, its hard to tell by the pictures, but that is my guess. 

Not really, the forge is a little long and narrow so it takes time for the temps to even out. The rear being more closed than the front contains the heat so it heats up faster.

I'd like to see a pic after 15 minutes running or so, I'll bet she's gloriously HOT.

I've been wrong before though.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Not really, the forge is a little long and narrow so it takes time for the temps to even out. The rear being more closed than the front contains the heat so it heats up faster.

I'd like to see a pic after 15 minutes running or so, I'll bet she's gloriously HOT.

I've been wrong before though.

Frosty The Lucky.

I agree, and you are prob right, i only stated so because the same happend to me, and no matter how long i ran forge that spot never turned,  however i beleive it was do to the fact it was my first forge, and i beleive most of my problem was insulation factors lol, i moved my burners closer together and didnt have that problem, however soon after i built a new forge due to myfuel consumption of keeping it at heat lol. 

You have a good point, the burners could be closer together but more significant, I think, the forge's profile is too long and narrow for optimum. I'm wrong all the time though and I'd like to see this after it's come to working temp before I develop a strong opinion. 

I'm careful to make it plain if I'm deducing or inferring something or actually know it. I like to taste the pudding before pronouncing good or bad. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

Ya im not sure myself on why such a long forge unless hes into sword making, even then i beleive he will have to much problems with scaling and heating the steel to many times to lose carbon over time, id prefer a much shorter forge , work only parts of the blade that need to be worked, amd keep my steel intact,  even heat treating can be done with a removable back to slide the blade back and forth, in and out to achieve critical.

• 1 month later...

I ended up redoing this one... Again. In the meantime, I built a small ammo can forge that's 125 cubic inches.

I axed the 3/4" burners I was trying to use, picked up the proper ward fittings to make 1/2" sidearm burners, added another burner in between the two so now its a three burner design. 

I also tore out all the refractory I used, except the wool, and did that all over again. I'm thinking of using kiln shelving as a floor for protection as well as decreasing over all inner dimensions.

It got hot enough as it was, but it wasn't right. I have just a couple of things to do to it before it's ready to fire up again, I'll post follow up pics of that.

It's not incredibly long, but it's long. 16" . I don't really need one like this, just felt like building it when I didn't have a full grasp on what I was doing. Now that I do, I'm too stubborn not to see it through.

The ammo can forge works great and we've been using it a whole bunch. I imagine we'll still use it the most, but this one will be there in case we need it.